Do I Have Any Potential???

Decorating By amberele Updated 7 Nov 2008 , 1:22pm by GeminiRJ

amberele Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 12:51am
post #1 of 5

hey all....

(Having trouble with my shift button so sorry if it looks very informal!)

my husband just recently lost 4 hours of OT at work (it was guaranteed), so we are loosing money every month, plus its just not a very stable work environment.

sOooo... long story short.. he's looking for a new job. Or i am... whichever works out. So my question to you all... is...
based on my portfolio.. (some of them are on here.. but all of them are on Would you hire me as a decorater....and if so, what kind of wage is there at a decorators shop?

I don't have formal training, I'm self taught, a hard worker, and i learn fast.

i know its a wierd question, but i don't know how else to find this information out without loosing a potential job. thanks for your help!

4 replies
MosMom Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 1:10am
post #2 of 5

It doesn't hurt to try. I always try to remind myself that the worst that can happen is a big "No". Pick a few cakes that you are proud of and take them in. Some bakery managers may be willing to train you in the way they prefer you do their cakes anyway. I don't know how big your city is but you could try grocery stores or big box stores (Sam's Club/Costco) that have bakeries.

I didn't see much in the way of sheet cakes or piping work so working in a grocery store bakery first might help you work on those skills before you try to get a job with a specialty bakery.

TC123 Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 1:53am
post #3 of 5

Hi there! I can't help you with decorator wages, but I think it would depend on where you live and the type of cake/bake shop. But I say, give it a try! Go out there and meet those in the business. Ask questions about wages and job requirements, and show your portfolio. You might be just the right person someone is looking for. Worst cake scenario (ooops! I mean case!), you'll have an idea on what skills, if any, you need to develop to get hired. Good luck! I wish you the best. icon_smile.gif

amberele Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 4:35pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks everyone icon_smile.gif

I live in a small town, so I don't know how many options are hre, but I will certainly try it out. Thanks for making the giant a little smaller!

Have a great one!

GeminiRJ Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 1:22pm
post #5 of 5

You'll never know until you start looking! It's not a field where newbies are paid very well (generally), so keep that in mind. Everyone has to start somewhere, though, so you won't be able to reach the top of the mountain unless you start climbing from the bottom.

Quote by @%username% on %date%