Christmas Cakes But Don't Like Marzipan Can I???

Decorating By mmljztaa7 Updated 6 Nov 2008 , 12:30pm by mmljztaa7

mmljztaa7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmljztaa7 Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 10:29pm
post #1 of 4

Hi,
I have been making some christmas cakes for a few friends as gifts however a few say they would like them without marzipan and just with fondent on, i'm worried that if i cover a fruit cake without marzipan the colour of the fruit cake will come through the fondent and ruin the look, therfore how do i make sure this doesn't happen and do many of you get requests to decorate fruit cakes without using marzipan?
melanie

3 replies
superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 11:25pm
post #2 of 4

Hi Melanie, I don't like marzipan either & If I don't use marzipan, I just put a nice layer of slightly warmed apricot jam on the cake, leave it stand for a while & then cover with fondant, make the fondant thicker that normal. Hope that helps.

kate_c Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kate_c Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 12:26am
post #3 of 4

Hi there,

I have stopped using marzipan altogether for that very reason. I too use apricot jam and either slightly thicker fondant, or have also found that double layering fondant works well too. You end up with a thicker covering, but everyone I have done this for has liked the taste of fondant and don't mind it being that little bit thicker.

HTH!

mmljztaa7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmljztaa7 Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 12:30pm
post #4 of 4

great thank you, i just wanted to check it would be ok to put a thicker layer of fondent straight on top before i did it, thanx so much thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%