Worlds Greatest Bc Recipe!!!

Decorating By Ayanami Updated 14 Dec 2008 , 5:23pm by milissasmom

Ayanami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ayanami Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 10:15pm
post #1 of 28

No I don't have the worlds greatest BC recipe. I'm looking for it though. icon_lol.gif With so many recipes out there (& I know everyone has a personal favorite) I would like to know what everyone thinks is the best recipe for flavor, texture, consistency, longevity and does not require refrigeration. (non-refrigerated is very important for me) I am open to anything as long as it is tried & true. thumbs_up.gif

Thanks in advance!!!!!!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

PS I live in Missouri so humidity is a beast here.

27 replies
jlsheik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlsheik Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 10:32pm
post #2 of 28

Well Indydebi's BC of course. I kinda put my own blend of flavors in, or to match what I need, like lemon. But it tastes great...holds up well in humidity that is very important in OKla and smooth on the tongue no grittines. I love it. It gets my only vote!
As for refrigeration, not sure it needs it because of the sugar content...you control the consistancy. So Indy's it is!!
Laura

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 10:47pm
post #3 of 28

You will never go wrong with Sharon/ SugarShack's recipe. Get her DVD - it's well worth it's weight in gold!

DsLady614 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DsLady614 Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 11:13pm
post #4 of 28

Well, I live on Guam, so humidity tolerance is HUGE! There is no humidity like this! I recommend a recipe by Serious Cakes. Find her YouTube video for the recipe. The taste is excellent, the texture is also. It crusts beautifully even in our humidity and travels quite well.

That's, of course, not to say the others aren't good, I just recommend this one. I've done several flavor variations and loved each one. Give it a try!!

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 11:56pm
post #5 of 28

For taste, I would say my favorite is buttercream dream. It's also easy to spread, crusts well, & doesn't need refrigeration.
But if humidity to a big factor, I would go with an all shortening bc. My favorite so far is Sugarshack's recipe. IMO, a good flavor emulsion improves the flavor of an all shortening bc. I also use some butter flavoring in this recipe. It really can't be beat in regards to smoothness! I second the advice on purchasing her bc video.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 12:17am
post #6 of 28

First choice: Earlene's Cream Cheese Buttercream.
Second: Sugarshack's in a pinch, but I'm not crazy about all the shortening.

AmazingGraceCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmazingGraceCakes Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 12:18am
post #7 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

You will never go wrong with Sharon/ SugarShack's recipe. Get her DVD - it's well worth it's weight in gold!

I have both videos, love them and the buttercream the best I've worked with!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 12:44am
post #8 of 28

Indydebi's is my favorite!

TyTy78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TyTy78 Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 2:20pm
post #9 of 28

Indydebi's hands down thumbs_up.gif ...and CONGRATS to her on the Member's Spotlight!!!

Memie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Memie Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 2:33pm
post #10 of 28

My vote is also for Indydebi's.

KASCARLETT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KASCARLETT Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 2:40pm
post #11 of 28

Indydebi's!!!

bcake1960 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bcake1960 Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 2:46pm
post #12 of 28

MY VOTE!! SUGGGGARRRR SHAACKS!!.. HANDS DOWN..
But in all fairness...I have not tried indydebi's.. I am sure its great.. I am going to have to give it a try ..
CONGRATULATIONS indydebi on the SPOTLIGHT.. not only for your beautiful work but all the help you give to everyone, You'Ve helped me more than a time or too... thanks! icon_wink.gif

nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 2:49pm
post #13 of 28

Hope these links work. I've tried seriouscakes recipe and it's really good. Not saying the others aren't, because I haven't tried them (=

Serious_cakes recipe on youtube

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 2:51pm
post #14 of 28

there are so many recipes for buttercream on here and really none of them have failed me....just depends on what you need at the time!

abruntz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abruntz Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 3:04pm
post #15 of 28

I too love Sugar Shacks, but in all fairness I haven't used indydebis or serious cake but I am going to try them out for sure they sound wonderful!

carleen2140 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carleen2140 Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 3:14pm
post #16 of 28

There's a post in the Cupcake forum called "Bettercreme Fun". Look it up and read a few post, I tried it and it was great. I can buy it here, but it is not sold in all the states. Naturally, someone came up with a "faux Bettercreme" you may want to read that too if you can not puchase it near your home. Here's the link.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-601193.html

Carleen

grannys3angels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grannys3angels Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 4:15pm
post #17 of 28

I use and love Sugarshacks BC recipe.
After trying other recipes, it is what works the best for me.
Living where I do, it can take and handle the heat
very well.

When my DGD was in headstart last year, I had to
buy store made cc's for her party (headstart rules),
and another parent had me make cc's for her daughters party.
It was very hot that day (end of Oct.) and we had the AC going.
I looked back to check and see how the cc's were
holding up in the heat. The cc's I did were doing great, the BC was holding up great, but the store bought cc's were not as lucky, the icing had started to melt.

Yes, the recipe calls for 5 1/2 cups of shortening,
but, you are also using 5 pounds of PS in a 5qt. bowl.
Though, it does sound like a lot, the ratio's all equal out.

EXP. If I half this recipe it would be 2 3/4 cup of shortening and 2 1/2 pounds of PS. If I double, it would be 11 cups of shortening and
10 pounds of PS.

I have not tried Indydebi's recipe, but i have heard great raves about it. I think its trying recipes and then going with what works for you.
Hope this helps and good luck with want ever recipe you chose.

God Bless,
Sharon
I hope this comes out right, I am trying to type this and half of the space is cover by an add icon_lol.gif , so not sure how it is going to show up.

Ayanami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ayanami Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 4:55pm
post #18 of 28

Thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you!

Everyone here rocks! I love CC. I am going to experiment with small batches of everyones reccommended recipes so I can determine what works best for me. I'll post my reviews when i'm done.

Thank you again to everyon for being so super supporitve & helpful. I love you guys!! icon_cry.gificon_biggrin.gif

Rocketgirl899 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 8:38pm
post #19 of 28

Where is EArlenes cream cheese BC recipe? I did a search but couldn't find it...

Does it crust? Does it hold airbrush or gel colors? Can it sit out or needs to be refig?

TIA

nickshalfpint Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 9:00pm
post #20 of 28

I have no idea if this is the same earlene, but the recipes looked good (= Sorry I couldn't be more help.

http://www.earlenescakes.com/icings.htm

DanishPastry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DanishPastry Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 3:28pm
post #21 of 28

I've looked in the recipes and don't find a BC from indydeb. Where do I find it?

nickshalfpint Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 3:45pm
post #22 of 28

It's on page 1 of this thread. I gave all the links to the recipes. HTH

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 12:53am
post #23 of 28

I have to say I use my own recipe that I've been developing over the years. I'm anxious to try Sugarshack's recipe though. icon_biggrin.gif

Frankyola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frankyola Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 9:49am
post #24 of 28

Indydebi's thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_wink.gificon_smile.gif

Cathy26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cathy26 Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 3:04pm
post #25 of 28

my favorite is a very simple one i adapted from Nigella Lawson's malteser cake recipe

350g icing sugar
250g butter
all beated up with either a teaspoon of vanilla, lemon zest, 1 1/2 teaspoons of cocoa, coconut essence or a mixture of horlicks and cocoa for a malteser BC

I love this as there is no milk or anything which would go off. i have eaten this in an unrefridgerated fondant covered cake after a week and it is still perfect. just adapt the amounts to suit the size of the cake.

rocketmom1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rocketmom1985 Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 4:57pm
post #26 of 28

I did a kinda test a couple of weeks ago, and then again for an order (my first order icon_smile.gif ). I made Indydebbi's, Serious_Cakes, one that called for some cake flour in it, I think it was called "crusting buttercream" in the recipe section, and Kalama Gal's recipe also from recipe section. They were ALL good. I preferred Serious Cakes...liked the butter taste. Hubby believe it or not liked all of them. They all worked like a dream for both icing and decorations like roses, etc. I must have hot hands 'cause they all did soften as I made the piped stuff. Then I recieved my small amt of Alpine high ratio and and made Sugarshack's. It was smmooootttth and great crusting, worked well for decorations also. The folks who ate the birthday cake loved it. Hubby loved it. I liked it for ease of use but I think it's very sweet. I have Toba Garret's and Collette Peter's recipes yet to try. I think they are all good, but my preference is Serious Cakes. I will post results when I test the others.

The reason I use my husband as a tester, as he is a huge PIA. I made homemade oven roasted garlic tomato bisque and he told me he prefers Campbells. He also raves about boxed brownies over my from scratch ones. Hmmmm. Undeveloped taste buds in a 60 year old is my response! icon_rolleyes.gif So whatever he just LOVES, I stay away from.

JessDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JessDesserts Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 5:18pm
post #27 of 28

im going to devote some time to finding MY fac bc. I know its a matter of personal taste, but, truthfully, I havent tried that many varieties .

It sounds like fun to pick a handful of different variations of the same recipe and rate them all.

Ill post the results in a few weeks!

As for now, my fav bc recipe is the one I make with Fluff. If it isnt obvious, I have a wicked sweet tooth and I love the texture and silkiness and yummy flavor the Fluff lends to the bc. mmm-mmm-mmm

milissasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milissasmom Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 5:23pm
post #28 of 28

Well, I have my own recipe that I have used for years and for my area (the California Desert) it is tried and true so that is what I use regularly.

BUT, I have tried both Surgarshack's and Indydebi's recipes and I loved Debi's!! It is VERY simple to make and was very easy to work with it was beautiful and smooth as well. Sharon's was good too...just wasn't what I preferred but it wasn't God Aweful either as some I have tried are. Her DVD's are good if you need to learn techniques and she (along with Debi) are sweethearts and very, very helpful. Good luck with your test batches.

BUT PLEASE NOTE that recipe's like Sharons work BEST if made in larger batches. You will not get the same smoothness in making it in small batches. Even Sharon will tell you that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%