Ultimate Extruder!

Decorating By Rocketgirl899 Updated 9 Nov 2008 , 4:10am by debster

Rocketgirl899 Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 10:01pm
post #1 of 39

Okay, so maybe a little extreme! Especially for $400.... lol. but still neat icon_smile.gif

I like the idea.

38 replies
cylstrial Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 10:03pm
post #2 of 39

Wow! What kind of extruder does everyone else use? (Ones that don't cost $400). =o) I'm thinking about getting a KA one.

bashini Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 10:12pm
post #3 of 39

Hi, very interesting. But I got this one.

Very useful.

Rocketgirl899 Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 10:17pm
post #4 of 39

i dont recommend the green little one you have to push with your thumb! it is a killer!

superstar Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 11:40pm
post #5 of 39

I have the same one as you bashini & I love it. Rocketgirl, I have never seen one like yours, it is amazing is it designed for sugar work or something else, it looks enormous, it also looks as if it is power driven, batteries or electricity!!

Rocketgirl899 Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 11:57pm
post #6 of 39

I think they just made an attachment for a drill... i don't own just randomly found iticon_smile.gif

FromScratch Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 12:18am
post #7 of 39

**insert Tim (The Tool Man) Taylor-esque grunting here**

Now THAT's an extruder!! I need to get a better one.. maybe not THAT much better though.. icon_lol.gif

Now my brain is thinking though... on how you could make something like that. It's just a drill with something like a caulking gun end on it. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.........

sari66 Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 12:30am
post #8 of 39

Wow that is huge!
I have the makins pro that I got from hobby lobby with a 40% off coupon

Rocketgirl899 Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 1:26am
post #9 of 39

duh! I forgot the link!

I don't think their guns seem good.. ? just to big and awkward, and still too much effort.

I think if you had the twisting extruster, I wonder if you could get your drills chuck to attach? It would be "ghetto" but save your hands... I don't know if that makes sense.. lol. it does to me icon_sad.gif so thats not a good sign icon_smile.gif

FromScratch Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 2:52am
post #10 of 39

Oh it makes sense to me too.. no worries. I think that's exactly the concept.. nuthin' wrong with a little ghetto fabulousness. icon_wink.gif

cylstrial Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 12:41pm
post #11 of 39

Hey Sari66 -- You like the clay extruder that you got from Hobby Lobby? Like it's reallly good to get? And works pretty good? Thanks!

alidpayne Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 12:57pm
post #12 of 39
Originally Posted by cylstrial

Hey Sari66 -- You like the clay extruder that you got from Hobby Lobby? Like it's reallly good to get? And works pretty good? Thanks!

I'm not Sari, but I have the same one from Hobby Lobby, and I love it. It is SO much easier to use than the thumb plunger type, much easier on the hands. I even paid full price for it, and don't regret it at all. HTH

dcordova Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 8:20pm
post #13 of 39

sorry, but what do you use this for?

Rocketgirl899 Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 1:29am
post #14 of 39
Originally Posted by dcordova

What CAN'T you use it for!

here is one example,

Rocketgirl899 Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 1:30am
post #15 of 39

instead of rolling out snakes, you can just extrude them! Makes them perfect every time icon_smile.gif

tracycakes Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 11:02pm
post #16 of 39

I bought the little green one for $5 just to see if I liked the results. I liked the results but not pushing with my thumbs. So, I bought the green metal one by Makins and I like it much better. I've used it all day today and I couldn't have done that with the thumb-push one. It was worth every penny to me.

deetmar Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 11:35pm
post #17 of 39

I could not live without my extruder. One time I had a bride that wanted to make her own wedding cake. She asked me for a list of tools that she would need. When she saw the extruder was $55 she almost died, but then when she saw it would cost her more to make her own cake than to get it from me, she knew she was in over her head, but just wouldn't admit it.

DegaDee Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 11:57pm
post #18 of 39

I'm glad to hear some input on these...I've been trying to figure out which one to get, if HL's version works ok, I think I'll use the 40% coupon and give it a try icon_biggrin.gif

mandysue Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 12:15am
post #19 of 39

Now, this may have to be my next investment. I have not seen these in Walmart or Hobby Lobby...mind you I live in Iowa, but still. If I were to look in Hobby Lobby, would I likely find this with the cake supplies, or with modeling clay supplies?

MacsMom Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 12:42am
post #20 of 39

Can you make ropes longer than the length of the extruder tool, or do you have to piece together little 6" ropes to wrap around a cake?

Hand rolling is not that big of a deal to me compared to washing yet another tool. It seems like it would be faster to plop a blob of fondant down and roll one long rope than to keep loading bits of fondant into an extruder.

Am I missing something?

I do have the green one unopened in my supplies--I just keep looking at it and thinking it's more trouble to use it than to roll it out by hand.

kimblyd Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 12:43am
post #21 of 39

Look in the clay section. They also sell an additional set of inserts to make different shapes.

Definitely use your 40% off coupon.

FromScratch Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 12:55am
post #22 of 39

Well when you think that you aren't making a 1" snake.. you can get a VERY long snake of clay that is a couple mm's thick from one load of the extruder.. and if you needed to you can re-load it and keep going.. sometimes you will get a little indent or bubble, but you can roll that out.

I hate rolling out thin snakes of gumpaste.. it's a pain in the ass.. but it's easy to extrude them.. and I have one of those crappy thumb press ones. I'd rather use that little beast than roll it out by hand. icon_lol.gif

mandysue Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 1:13am
post #23 of 39

OK, I'm definitely getting when of these things. I can't roll and even snake to save my life!

EnjoyTheCake Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 1:38am
post #24 of 39
Originally Posted by Rocketgirl899

Originally Posted by dcordova

What CAN'T you use it for!

here is one example,

Rocketgirl, on that little bow example, exactly what parts are extruded and what parts aren't?

Rocketgirl899 Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 1:43am
post #25 of 39

the green edges are.

you can also use extruders in different shapes to make picture frame boarders, snakes of different sizes to make scrolls, hair, you can make flat bars... umm just lots of stuff!

weirkd Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 1:47am
post #26 of 39

Man, I could of used one of those yesterday! I did a stacked suitcase wedding cake and it was so hard to get a long enough piece for the edge. I would try to connect them but it was so humid in the house it kept breaking! What a pain in the $%&*

forthwife Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 2:00am
post #27 of 39

Do they sell *good* extruders at Michaels, Joanns, or AC Moore? I don't think we have Hobby Lobby in Orlando. Thansk!!!

mixinvixen Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 2:05am
post #28 of 39

i was just trying to buy one of these today at hobby lobby...the only thing they had that said "extruder"on it was a small stainless steel one that looked like a thumb pushed one...it was $10.99. there was a peg beside it that was empty but had a label that said something about clay tool with battery...when i asked the girl about it, she said that wasn't an extruder, the only one they had was that small steel one...and they can't even order a different one. i really need one, at the latest tomorrow...anybody have any ideas to help? we have a michaels, hobby lobby, and joannes here, along with super walmart. we also have a two cake shops, but i;ve already checked with both, and they'd have to order it. help!

forthwife Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 2:18am
post #29 of 39

Can a cookie press be used as a fondant extruder??

FeGe_Cakes Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 2:35am
post #30 of 39

Sometimes when I used my green Makins extruder, my snakes have rough feathered edges all around. It is not a smooth snake. What am I doing wrong? Is my fondant to dry, need more shortening? Too moist?

Quote by @%username% on %date%