How Do I Make These Better?

Decorating By mommy2landonmason Updated 11 Nov 2008 , 3:29pm by kandu001

mommy2landonmason Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommy2landonmason Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 7:28pm
post #1 of 15

Okay, please don't laugh. This is my first time trying a cupcake bouquet. I am practicing because I want to make some for my sons' school bazaar this weekend. I tried making roses and placing them onto the cupcakes and i made some directly onto the cupcake, which i liked the look better. Please help me figure out how to make it a prettier presentation?! I know I need the âflowerâ to be bigger, but is that the reason it doesnât look right?
LL

14 replies
johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 7:47pm
post #2 of 15

Trying placing the center ones just a bit higher. Like a floral arrangment, high in the back, lower in the front OR higher in the center, lower around the perimiter.

Also, I like them better when I add stuff in between. Like a little crumpled crepe paper, or my favorite --- those foil things on a stck (hard to describe, but 33 cents at hobby lobby). Think tall frilly toothpick.

I think using a two tone icing help. Swirl in some orange or red in your bag before you start.

HTH Rita

banba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
banba Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 8:32pm
post #3 of 15

Mommy2landonmason you did a lovely job for your first attempt icon_smile.gif

I would agree with everything johnson6ofus said and if I may add maybe just a little less tissue paper so as not to distract from the lovely cupcakes!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 9:41pm
post #4 of 15

Yes! That's exactly what I thought.. take out a bit of the tissue paper. I think when you do what johnson6ofus said about the icing and putting the cupcakes at different heights.. and the tissue paper.. you will be good to go. Because it already looks good.. so now you just have to make it great! Let us see the final picture!

UltimateCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UltimateCakes Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 9:47pm
post #5 of 15

http://www.myspace.com/jessicasdesserts

Ask Jessi01 - she's given me great advice before. Her cupcake bouquets are amazing.

mommy2landonmason Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 1:52am
post #6 of 15

Thanks for the help.

Frankyola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frankyola Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 2:43am
post #7 of 15

They looks nice to be your 1st. ones keep your hard work, I am on the same way thumbs_up.gificon_lol.gificon_wink.gif

bchristianson17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bchristianson17 Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 8:52pm
post #8 of 15

Maybe changing the liners? I haven't tried making a bouquet myself but maybe changing the liners to match the icing or green to mimic the underneath/stem of a flower?

kandu001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandu001 Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 10:54pm
post #9 of 15

Great job for your first try! I'm sure that whomever you made it for will absolutely love it! I don't have any extra suggestions, but I especially liked the ones that said to use less tissue paper and to add swirls of other colors into your roses. princess.gif

keyshia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keyshia Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 11:04pm
post #10 of 15

I too think you did a great job of doing them for a first try. Have you thought about putting some leaves on the cupcakes too (like under the flowers?) I think that all the yellow (or orange) might be a little much without breaking it up some.

natou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
natou Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 11:13pm
post #11 of 15

I was thinking the same, everytime I make roses, they look much nicer after I add leaves to them.

deliciously_decadent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deliciously_decadent Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 12:13pm
post #12 of 15

there is a great tutorial here on CC abou the boquets i found the trick was to see as least amount of patty pan as possible so take you icing just over the edge of the pan so that the icing is wider than the cake and then i also add tissue as there are always gaps also i find a good trick is to complemtn the patty pan colour to your tissue so it blends, also use two tine icing (ass a dolop of white in your yellow for example so you get a natuaral change in the colours of the petals but stay withing the same couour tones, it looks more natural that way icon_biggrin.gif
http://www.facebook.com/photos.php?id=757346537#/photo.php?pid=612583&id=757346537
this is the only pic i could find at the moment not the best but you get the idea

mommy2landonmason Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 4:20am
post #13 of 15

Thanks for all the suggestions. I took the advice of everyone, used less tissue paper, ended up using pink and white so the flowers were multicolored.This was my second attempt.
Unfortunately never got to bring them to the bazaar cause i messed up somewhere and the cupcakes would no longer stay on the sticks. the cupcakes would fall over and broke the cupcake up. Was to stressful doing that and the cake all at once, so settled with a cake and covered oreos. LOL thanks for all the help. I will definitely try this again.

Edited to say: I have never done multicolored anything. So i am learning that too. As you can tell some roses are more of a solid pink others mixed. icon_cool.gif
LL

Berecca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Berecca Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 4:43am
post #14 of 15

That looks really pretty! I like the striped effect! Good job!

kandu001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandu001 Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 3:29pm
post #15 of 15

It looks absolutely gorgeous! I'm sorry you didn't get to show those off!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%