Stand-Up House Pan - Should I Just Lay It Flat To Be Safe?

Decorating By SaraO Updated 14 Nov 2008 , 3:15am by glendaleAZ

SaraO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SaraO Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 6:04pm
post #1 of 7

I'm going to make an Anne of Green Gables cake for my friend who loves Anne of Green Gables and I've decided to make the Anne of Green Gables house. I'm going to use the stand-up house pan, but I'm thinking of just laying it flat instead of standing it up like it is supposed to, because I have to transfer it to her house and I have heard so many horror stories about that cake falling over. On the other hand, it would be more exciting if it was standing up. I just can't decide if I wanna to take the risk or not. Any thoughts?

6 replies
justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 6:27pm
post #2 of 7

You can have it standing up. I would double the cake board and do not use filling. Put dowel rods or skews into the cake - two to three will hold it up make sure you go threw the card board (do this on hard counter, not a wood table). It will stay up. You can take filling and have it on this side and you put a little on the cake for those who would like some. Make sure you post the final cake and good luck.

glendaleAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glendaleAZ Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 6:11am
post #3 of 7

Hi SaraO,

A second option would be to make two house cakes, and put one in front of the other, with some frosting in between to hold them together. Be sure to use a pound cake, or a half cake/half pound cake recipe. You could also put a couple straws through both cakes for extra sturdiness.

If you wanted to use a regular cake mix, you would still make two house cakes, with one in front of the other, but cut the house horizontally in half and use a cardboard separator plate between the two layers with a couple of dowels in the bottom cake.

Hope this helps,
Tammy

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 6:30am
post #4 of 7

I did a standup house and set it on a 10" round, to give it a "yard". Used a separate plate and cut straws to hold up the plate and then ran a long wooden dowel down the middle of it with a sharp-pointy end and stuck it all the way thru the house, 10" cake, and cake board.

Popped that puppy into the fridge overnight, let it set up really good, drove like a granny on Sunday down the freeway, over city chuck-holes, and twisty-winding streets. Stayed up like a champ! thumbs_up.gif

You'll do great! icon_biggrin.gif

mommyofone119 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyofone119 Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 3:34pm
post #5 of 7

I've done exactly what GI has. Baked the house and put it on a sheet cake for the "yard" and ran sharpened dowels through the house into the cake board and traveled with it. This is the way to go IMO, if you cut the house in half or make 2 and put them together more than likely you will have a disaster. Good Luck and be sure to post pics!

SaraO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SaraO Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 2:27pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks for the advice guys! I ended up chickening out because I didn't have a lot of time and just laid it flat. I've bought the pan now though so next time I will try straws or dowels. I've never done that before. Here is the cake.
LL

glendaleAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glendaleAZ Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 3:15am
post #7 of 7

HI SaraO,

Your cake turned out wonderful. I bet your friend loved it.

Tammy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%