Rkt

Decorating By Cindra Updated 10 Nov 2008 , 5:34pm by lainalee

Cindra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cindra Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 5:10pm
post #1 of 19

Hi all,
I see lots of folks on here use RKT for some of their 3D work. My question is do you make your own or do you buy in bulk from a vendor? If you do, where do you get them?
Thanks!

18 replies
Callyssa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Callyssa Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 6:41pm
post #2 of 19

I used it for the first time a couple of weeks ago and just made my own. I bought off-brand rice krispies, and used both less butter and marshmallows to make the recipe harden well. It did, but wasn't very flavorful, but was covered in bc so was plenty sweet anyway.

I've heard several say they prefer the premade kind, but they seem to be so chewy, I'd personally be afraid to use them!

panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 6:56pm
post #3 of 19

I just tried it the other day to make a moon on my recent cake it was off brand krispies and just melted a little marshamallow didn't use butter and it did great. I covered in fondant and it stuck well. Give it a try and see how it works for you.

Cindra Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 7:02pm
post #4 of 19

Thanks for the insight - I usually do make my own, but wanted to get a feel of what others may do. I know they sell them by the sheet - just wasn't sure they were any good.
THX thumbs_up.gif

loucarp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loucarp Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 7:10pm
post #5 of 19

I use alot of RKT for my cakes. I use the premade kind only because it is easier for me to work with and definitely not time consuming. I buy the large 40 piece box which is available at a local supermarket. I always have them on hand and the squares are a good size to work with.

Cindra Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 7:11pm
post #6 of 19

I've never seen a 40 piece box - will have to check. Seems like that would be more expensive than making your own

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 7:12pm
post #7 of 19

I've just made my own when I needed them. It saves another trip to the store.

Cindra Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 7:13pm
post #8 of 19

Found this site as well:

http://www.fondantsource.com/misccakeitems.html

32 oz sheet for 12.00 icon_surprised.gif

Cindra Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 7:14pm
post #9 of 19

Found this site as well:

http://www.fondantsource.com/misccakeitems.html

32 oz sheet for 12.00 icon_surprised.gif

Cindra Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 7:17pm
post #10 of 19

for some reason link did not print.

I found a sheet of them on fondantsource.com

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 7:18pm
post #11 of 19

I've done both and it really depends on what you need done. Something with a lot of structure - definitely make your own or be prepared to really pack & squish some premade ones. There are also large blocks of RKT available. Almost a 1/2 sheet size, about a solid inch or so. It's really nice not to make RKT on top of everything else. Two more concerns - if its a very blocky shape you're going for premade RKT definitely lends itself nicely. A rounder shape or odd shape is easier to get the fresh RKT to dry that way in the first place than to try to get already set RKT to do it.
The other less critical point - unless it directly affects you and then its real important - storebought RKTs are not nut-free as they are manufactured on machines that do nuts. If you have someone with a nut allergy, you'll have to make your own RKTs.

Cindra Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 7:20pm
post #12 of 19

where do you find the large blocks of them. I can't the link to print. Ifound them on fondant source for 12.99 - 32 oz sheet

CakeMakar Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 7:31pm
post #13 of 19

My 7-11 sells them, and I've seen them at Smart N Final.

CakeMakar Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 7:32pm
post #14 of 19

Oh and my cake supply place does, too. I'd look for places that sell party supplies. They are billed as an alternative to cake - decorate and slice!

Cindra Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 7:32pm
post #15 of 19

I'm in Mass and we don't have Smart N Final. Any other pace on line sell them that you know?

CakeMakar Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 7:33pm
post #16 of 19

There are issues between the company you're trying to link to and CC & it's members. The name of the company is blocked, so when you post a link it will change it.

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 11:21am
post #17 of 19

I made a cupcake out of Rice Krispies (covered in fondant) to sit atop a 2 tiered birthday cake.

I used the recipe posted on this thread... http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=600889&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0
...by mommy_of_3_DDs...she uses less Krispies than the original recipe and adds vanilla...it tastes delicious. Since I only needed it for a small project I had plenty leftover...YUM!

Her recipe is on page 3...her photo of an all Krispies wedding cake (before decorating) is on page 2...it's amazing.

CakeMakar Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 6:35pm
post #18 of 19

Wow, that was a cool cake!

lainalee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lainalee Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 5:34pm
post #19 of 19

GFS sells the block of RKT. last time I looked they were about 9.00 HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%