Question.....rolled Buttercream?? Vs. Fondant?

Decorating By Deb4516 Updated 6 Nov 2008 , 3:42am by Launa

Deb4516 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb4516 Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 5:09pm
post #1 of 5

I did not know you could get a rolled buttercream.....does it work like fondant? Also...I have a baby shower to make a cake for on Saturday afternoon. Unfortunately it is the Saturday after Thanksgiving and I will be out of town. Could I make the cake on Tuesday night and still serve it on Saturday? I am doing the Pregnant Tummy cake and I was going to use rolled fondant for the dress. (but now maybe buttercream?)

4 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 5:25pm
post #2 of 5

Blargh for rolled buttercream. It tastes and feels like greasy fondant. It is much harder to work with IMO, tears easily and big pieces are nearly impossible to get onto the cake in once piece. Give me SatinIce every time.

kandu001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandu001 Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 2:59am
post #3 of 5

Stick with the fondant...but a yummy one of course, not Wilton! princess.gif

just_for_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
just_for_fun Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 3:21am
post #4 of 5

I tried rolled buttercream once, and it was sticky, greasy, impossible to pick up after rolling. i even rolled it on a silpat and lifted the whole thing, and could not get it onto the cake in one piece. I am in no way a professional baker, so i tought i would try it again. but i think i won't....

Launa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Launa Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 3:42am
post #5 of 5

I LOVE rolled buttercream for cookies because of the taste, but I haven't had very good luck putting it on a cake. I'd stick with fondant for that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%