Anyone Used Spray Luster?

Baking By shiney Updated 5 Nov 2008 , 5:14pm by jlsheik

shiney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shiney Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 4:08pm
post #1 of 7

Somewhere I saw some kind of spray luster dust. Has anyone tried it on cookies?

6 replies
Rocketgirl899 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 4:34pm
post #2 of 7

Its in like a spray can right? I think it costs like 12 bux a can...

I have used it.. see my flower pot cake in photos. I am use to an airbrush but was traveling so I bought this. I personally don't think its worth it, I would dry dust if you can. I feel the pearl was to opaque..

But it was my first time using it.. so just wanna put in my 2 cents

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 4:50pm
post #3 of 7

I have the kind of liquid luster that you use with your airbrush. I like it, except that it goes on REALLY wet! You have to do a very light spray, let it dry, light spray, let it dry, etc. etc. If you just want a light shine it's great, but I was going for silver (beer can cake) so I had to paint it ALOT! I like it though. If it were up to me, I'd make every cake sparkly!

SHogg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SHogg Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 4:52pm
post #4 of 7

On my most recent cake I used the lustre spray gold by PME. I used it to spray the fondant decorative borders, I sprayed first then applied them to the cake. I liked how it worked, but I felt the gold turned out too much on the yellow side, so I hand painted a layer of Old Gold dust over them. I had an average amount of borders to do and 2 cans just barely got the job done. I was surprised how fast it goes and I didn't even do a thick coat. I was overall happy with the ease of it and the result BUT if you are using them at home make sure you spray them outside, I did it in my screened in porch and my black iron porch table now has a gold sheen to it!!!

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 4:58pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHogg

...my black iron porch table now has a gold sheen to it!!!

Hey... where's the downside in that? icon_biggrin.gif

shiney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shiney Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 5:13pm
post #6 of 7

Rocket, I looked at your photo, I see the sheen! Your cakes are amazing, BTW.
So, dry dust, just brush the dust dry with brush without extract or vodka?

jlsheik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlsheik Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 5:14pm
post #7 of 7

I have used the pearl luster by PME it is beautiful...but don't breathe when you are spraying or you will have a nice pearly nose. Also goes everywhere like the wilton spray. Cost is 12.99 a can.....so use sparingly!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%