To Torte Or Not To Torte?

Decorating By amykingsafer Updated 7 Nov 2008 , 2:17pm by anamado

amykingsafer Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 3:28am
post #1 of 12

What is the point in torting a cake? I just baked 2 11" rounds and I'm wondering if they have to be torted?

11 replies
PinkZiab Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 5:57am
post #2 of 12

I torte all of my cake... no cake HAS to be torted, but it's my preference for the way it looks when sliced, and more importantly, it increases the filling-to-cake ratio.

Ruth0209 Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 6:29am
post #3 of 12

I always torte my cakes with fruit fillings because the fruit is so slippery you can't put as much filling in between the layers. If you don't torte it, there's just not enough filling for a nice cake/filling balance.

I'm with PinkZiab that I like the way the cake looks when you slice it, so I've started torting all of my cakes. It's a bit of a pain, but I think they look more professional.

anamado Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 9:38pm
post #4 of 12

Sorry for my question, but as I am from Portugal I do not understand everything.
What does it mean to torte a cake?
Thanks

Mike1394 Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 10:38pm
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamado

Sorry for my question, but as I am from Portugal I do not understand everything.
What does it mean to torte a cake?
Thanks

Cut one layer in 1/2 horizontally, and put filling in then put the cutoff piece back on. You can use all sorts of flavors, types.

Mike

anamado Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 11:12pm
post #6 of 12

Thanks for answering so quickly!

So, I understand is to bake 1 cake, cut it, and use it as 2 shorter cakes. Am I right?

Mike1394 Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 11:26pm
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamado

Thanks for answering so quickly!

So, I understand is to bake 1 cake, cut it, and use it as 2 shorter cakes. Am I right?

No, now instead of two uncut layers for one cake. You will have four thinner layers for the one cake. Assembly is still the same your just putting filling in between a layer that before was uncut.

Mike

FromScratch Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 12:21am
post #9 of 12

I torte all of my cakes too.. I like how it presents when it's cut and you get a little filling in every bite.. can't be a bad thing.. icon_wink.gif

Memie Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 3:46pm
post #10 of 12

I like to torte my cakes cause it gives me a chance to make sure they're done. I also like the way they look when they're cut.

iluvjay829 Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 7:59pm
post #11 of 12

I always torte as well b/c I like getting icing and filling with every bite. I don't torte my sheet cakes though. I find they get way to thick that way and are to hard to flip.

anamado Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 2:17pm
post #12 of 12

Thank you very much for your answers!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%