Is It Really So Bad?

Decorating By Rose_N_Crantz Updated 7 Nov 2008 , 2:15am by indydebi

Rose_N_Crantz Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 3:12am
post #1 of 18

So after hearing everyone's thoughts on Wilton fondant, I vowed to only use it on emergency purposes. Well, the other day I decided to make a practice cake with fondant and I didn't feel like making a batch of fondant, so I just bought some Wilton stuff. I figure, I'm just practicing with it, it's not really for someone, so who cares?

As I'm rolling it out I decide to taste a bit. I expected it to be completely inedible, my tongue to go numb, etc. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. I actually thought it wasn't that bad. I had my husband's buddy try it and he was indifferent. He said it wasn't good, but it wasn't bad either. My husband tried it and he immediately spit it into the garbage saying it was like he sprayed windex on his tongue.

So what gives? Is there anyone else here who thinks Wilton fondant isn't so bad? I have worked with and ate MMF before, so I know how good fondant can taste.

17 replies
plbennett_8 Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 5:34am
post #2 of 18

I never thought it tasted aweful... It's just kind of bland to me... I use Michele Foster's and make it taste like the buttercream that I'm using on that cake...

I have to say that it is too bad that it is bland, because it still has the best workability that I have found... Easy...

With you in the not nasty catagory...lol
Pat B.

PinkZiab Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 5:55am
post #3 of 18

It has a very stale and chemical taste to me. I find it completely inedible.

Amia Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 6:03am
post #4 of 18

I've never put it in my mouth because I just can't get past the horrid smell!

Frankyola Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 6:40am
post #5 of 18

To be honest I have used wilton fondant and I don't really care it doesn't taste bad but I doesn't taste good like MMF, since I used just to practice I used for my flowers and figures, but to cover my cakes for my family I just use Ronda's MMF, that is GOOOOODDDD, icon_lol.gificon_smile.gifthumbs_up.gif

lardbutt Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 9:10am
post #6 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by amia1024

I've never put it in my mouth because I just can't get past the horrid smell!

I agree the smell is HORRIBLE!!! My daughter had to make a "critter" out of something edible for school. I gave her some wilton fondant I had left over from a class to use. NO one, including the teacher believed it WAS edible!!!!

hpotter83 Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 12:09pm
post #7 of 18

Blah. It tastes pretty nasty to me!

CakesByJen2 Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 2:11pm
post #8 of 18

LOL, I've been afraid to say so before, but I don't think it's so bad, either. I find the Wilton fondant very easy to work with, and it's the only thing I can buy locally, so it's much more economical and convenient for me. I haven't tried MMF, but I've tried SatinIce and Choco-Pan, and don't think SatinIce is any better, just different. Choco-Pan tastes a little better, but not enough to justify the price since I don't think hardly enyone ever eats the fondant anyway, no matter what kind it is. It just doesn't go well with the cake, flavor and texture-wise, IMHO. For example, I made modeling chocolate for the first time last week, and I couldn't stop nibbling on it because it smelled and tasted like Tootsie Rolls. I though the stuff was great, but then when I had a slice of the cake I covered with it, I didn't like it at all. They just didn't go together.

TyTy78 Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 5:05pm
post #9 of 18

I can't get pass the smell either....It smells like play-dough, but my son will eat it. I agree with every one else that it is easier to work with but my nose will NOT let me taste it.

lauritasolorzano Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 6:09pm
post #10 of 18

The wilton fondant is really good to work with, but the taste and the smell is not that great. I prefer to use Satin-Ice, I like the taste, it is very manageable, and my customers seem to like it the most.

Laura

indydebi Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 10:51pm
post #11 of 18

I used to let customers taste it .... but I'd tell them to "wait until I get you a trash can so you can spit it out .... because you WILL spit it out!" And they always did.

superstar Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 11:31pm
post #12 of 18

I don't like Wilton's fondant but have a friend who loves it!!!!! I use Fondx & make Jennifer Dontz's white chocolate fondant or use the Fondx as is & add the same flavoring to it that I am using in the BC. I only know a few people who don't like it.

kakeladi Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 12:59am
post #13 of 18

Add me to the list of those who think it's not allthat b adicon_smile.gif
I add butter and sometimes vanilla - don'tmeasure it just kneed in so maybe 1/4 tsp per cup of fondant?
I can't remember ever eating a piece of cake w/fondant on it as I usually only use fondant for decorations.

bethola Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 1:09am
post #14 of 18

I have flavored it with Tropical Lorann Oil. My aunt LOVES IT! Would rather eat the fondant than my DELICIOUS homemade buttercream! LOL Who woulda thunk it?

Beth in KY

Pastry-Panda Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 1:32am
post #15 of 18

I have a problem with the smell , like everyone else I can't get past the smell to eat it. My grandma says it smells and tastes like fish oil! It really grosses me out.

Smell is very important for taste.
If a customer smells that are they going to even want to eat the cake that you covered?

I will use it for practice but I wont use it on a cake to eat. Not even fondant accents , I prefer MMF if I can't afford Satin Ice.

sugarcheryl Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 1:54am
post #16 of 18

It is not the best product. I use it to cover my cake dummies. I either make it or buy satin ice.

Rose_N_Crantz Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 2:07am
post #17 of 18

Well, glad to hear I'm not the only one who thinks it's absolutely horrible. I agree that it's not the best, which is why I would only use it in a pinch. I do like MMF better, but I'm not a complete hater.

indydebi Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 2:15am
post #18 of 18

Ironically, I had to buy some wilton white fondant this morning for a quick project. Because of this thread, I tore off a piece to taste it again. Thru the first few chews, it was pretty flavorless .... then the gawd-awful chemical, slightly-different-than-play-doh taste came bursting thru to my tastebuds.

Yep ... I spit it out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%