Made A Large Batch Of Ri, Will It Keep?

Decorating By emiyeric Updated 6 Nov 2008 , 2:16am by emiyeric

emiyeric Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 2:51am
post #1 of 7

I made a very large batch of royal icing, but then changed my cake plans and will no longer require nearly as much ... is RI something I can expect to store effectively, or should I just kick myself for the waste and continue? Thanks for any pointers! icon_smile.gif

6 replies
lorijom Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 3:19am
post #2 of 7

It depends on whether you used egg whites or meringue powder. Meringue powder will keep longer... maybe a couple of days in the frig and you can get the consistency back by mixing it again before you use it. Egg white recipe won't last as long and it won't come back to a nice consistency with re-whipping. Depending on what you're doing you can use either one for a couple of days (covered well and refrigerated)....such as using it as glue for structures doesn't require perfect RI. HTH icon_smile.gif

kakeladi Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 3:35am
post #3 of 7

Nows the time to make up as many extra flowers as you have time....dropflowers (simetimes called swirlflowers); daisies; any spring flower you might use that's made in a lily nail. Make colorflow plaques you might use to put b'day messages on.
It will keep up to a week.
Also add about 1/2 cup Crisco which turns it into air drying b'cream icon_smile.gif Now you can make any flower. Once the flower is made let to dry at room temp - do NOT put into frig; do NOT put in fzr; do NOT cover them. Just let them dry - usually overnight is enough and the flower will be ready to put on any cake in the near future. Roses are expecially great w/this recipe. To store these flowers, place into any cardboard box and place in a cool, dry, dark place. They will keep up to 3 months or so.

emiyeric Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 3:44am
post #4 of 7

What great suggestions! Thank you so much! Guess I'll be making flowers icon_biggrin.gif

glendaleAZ Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 5:39am
post #5 of 7

The Wilton book says Royal Icing made w/meringue can be left out on the counter for two weeks. (I put it in the frig & freezer to make it last a little longer)

I have a Kerry Vincent cake decorating book with an egg white recipes for Royal Icing that says "Royal Icing can be placed in the freezer until needed. Just double wrap in plastic wrap, then double bag.

snowshoe1 Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 12:44pm
post #6 of 7

I guess everyone has different thoughts on RI storage, and I usually prefer to work with fresh RI. When I have extra egg-white RI I keep in the fridge (have remixed and used for stringwork with no problems). When using merg powder I leave in a cabinet for up to a few weeks. Regardless of the medium, I put always store in a glass jar and turn upside down (don't know why icon_confused.gif but its something I was told to do in a class with Geraldine Randelsome - guess I should question these things!).

Often when I have extra I'll try a new technique (like making plaques, collars, or just practicing piping on styrofoam or a cake pan).

emiyeric Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 2:16am
post #7 of 7

Thanks for the tips! I've been practicing techniques (and flowers! icon_smile.gif ), but will need some RI this weekend, so it's good to know what the practical storage aspects of it are. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%