Make A Single Layer 9" Round Two Flavors?

Decorating By SJEmom Updated 5 Nov 2008 , 4:33am by SJEmom

SJEmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SJEmom Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 2:07am
post #1 of 8

For my childrens' birthdays I am making a single layer 11x15 cake (half chocolate/half yellow) for both, and then I am making two 9" rounds that will be their individual cakes (each kid gets a pan). They want them to be two flavors, too (and I need the extra cake mix for making cupcakes for a school party).

What is the best way to do that? Try to pour half/half into the round pan? Or pour one flavor in first and pour the other flavor on top? Bake one pan yellow, one pan chocolate and then cut the layers in half? Is that what people refer to as torting? If I were to cut a 9" round in half to make a mini layer, any suggestions on how to do that? Would it work to cut the cake in half so that one side was chocolate and one side yellow? Or would that be difficult to work with?

Thanks - sorry for the newbie questions...

7 replies
jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 2:11am
post #2 of 8

What method are you using to get the 11X15 two flavors? If it were me, I'd prop one side of the pan up with a rolled towel or something. Pour one flavor in then as you are pouring the other flavor on the other side, pull the towel out and keep pouring. I would think that would work for either size pan. Torting the 9" to make two thin layers sounds like a lot of trouble to me.

SJEmom Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 2:18am
post #3 of 8

I plan to do just as you said with the 11x15 pan. I have done it before with success. That is good to know that it should work for the smaller pan, too. Do you know how much batter I would expect to put in for half of a 9" round (I am using a box mix)? For the 11x15 it takes two cake mixes, so it is easy to just do all of one mix and then the other.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 2:25am
post #4 of 8

I'm not sure. I'm pretty bad to just "eyeball" things like that, but if I had to guess I'd say maybe 1/3 of a box of each flavor for each 9" pan.

pottedmeatchunks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pottedmeatchunks Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 2:43am
post #5 of 8

pour in one batter, then pour in the other on top. ive done this and it sort of bakes the bottom flavor in a concave spoon-shape but you still get both flavors in there. OR you can tort them and trade a top layer of chocolate for vanilla, whatever is easier.

Darstus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darstus Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 2:44am
post #6 of 8

SJEmom, when I have made a layer with two flavors, I have taken a peice of aluminum foil, folded in half for strength, and put it in the middle of the pan making a dam. I pour the batters in and then pull out the foil. You have some mixing of flavors but very little.

I have also made wedding cake top tiers with 2 flavors. Usually because the bride likes one and the groom the other and they don't want to share! I have made 2 layers, one of each flavor. Then I cut them in half, stack them as I would normally do 2 layer with a filling in the middle. I will use buttercream to "glue" the halves side by side to keep the cake together.Then I get a split cake for them.

And I have also had a 2 layer cake with each layer being a different flavor.

Hope this helps.

plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 3:16am
post #7 of 8

I usually cut a piece of foam board to fit in the middle of the pan, and do it just like the big cake. You do need to run a knife to gently "swirl" the two together so that they will adhere to each other. That way each side are distinct different "cakes". I make sure that I run my Dam through the middle of the cake so that the different fillings do not mix... I'm think that is probably what your kids are wanting?

There is a cake called a Half & Half that is half white and half chocolate where you start off with white cake, choc filling, choco cake, white buttercream, etc. Here is a picture.

http://www.bakesmartonline.com/ambrosia/Admin/images/mHalf%20and%20Half%20Cake%20Cut.jpg

HTH,
Pat

SJEmom Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 4:33am
post #8 of 8

Thanks for all the tips/suggestions. It seems like there are many "right" way to do things! icon_biggrin.gif Since I was anxious to get making the cakes and getting them baking (and therefore did not get to read everyone's suggestions), I did the tilted pan thing. I am hoping that all the cakes turn out okay. I am fine if the division between the flavors isn't perfect, so we will see.

Thanks again for all your help! I am learning so much about cake baking - and having fun, too!

Karen

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%