Tonight's Election Turnout

Lounge By poochynooch Updated 5 Nov 2008 , 3:25am by SugarFrosted

poochynooch Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 12:07am
post #1 of 13

Just wanted to extend to all of you in the US best wishes on tonight's election -- its been very interesting watching it from Canada for the last few months!

12 replies
indydebi Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 12:33am
post #2 of 13

Regardless of who wins, it's very exciting to see long lines of voters; to see people exciting and involved in the process! usaribbon.gif

I heard on the news that the early voters in my state represented 17% of all registered voters. Heck, sometimes that's the whole turnout on election day! So that was super exciting to hear!

I timed my voting just right .... got in and out in 3 minutes. I planned it so I got there after the vote-before-going-to-work folks had been there, and before the lunch-hour-crowd showed up. I called my hubby and told him to take an early lunch hour .... because by the time he got off of work at five, he'd be standing in line forever. He did ... and got in and out in under 10 minutes.

Being formerly very involved in the political process, it is really great to see so many people active in the voting process! thumbs_up.gif

JodieF Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 12:41am
post #3 of 13

We voted 2 weeks ago. I'm so grateful we could vote early in Illinois! It's a same that isn't the same across the country. It sure takes the pressure off!
I agree that it's very exciting to see people so "into" this election! I haven't seen anything like it in my lifetime.

taniabanana Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 12:50am
post #4 of 13

It's nearly 1am here in the UK, and I'm glued to the BBC's coverage of the US election. It's much more exciting and confusing (for a Brit) than our elections!

Come on Barak!

tchrmom Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 12:52am
post #5 of 13

It took me an hour and 10 minutes about 3 weeks ago. It took my husband 3 hours last week. It took several people in my neighborhood about 15 minutes today. Who knew? Anyway, here in Georgia, it was about 35% of the registered voters who voted early. I, like Debi, am happy to see so many people taking an interest.

MosMom Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 1:02am
post #6 of 13

I couldn't agree more Debi! To see such passion about our country is inspiring. We're both hoosiers and it is also exciting to be part of a battleground state!

bigsisof3kids Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 1:09am
post #7 of 13

Thank you poochy!

I was excited to be able to vote for the FIRST time. (I'm 20 ) It was so neat, all the people that worked the station in our small town are all older, and they were all congratulating me on coming out to vote and everything. I don't understand the people that don't go out to vote... Excercise your right! icon_smile.gif

mixinvixen Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 1:43am
post #8 of 13

we're just south of nashville, tn and didn't get a chance to early vote...we were completely dreading it today.

i have an almost 5 yr old, so i packed her big red wagon, a little camp chair to go in it, a blanket, a bunch of construction paper,crayons, gluestick and scissors, a coloring book, and some snacks. my husband and i rolled the wagon in, AND ONLY ONE PERSON WAS IN LINE!!! since we've changed addresses, it took us longer to fill out the affidavit, then it did to walk straight to the booth and vote!!! it took us longer to unpack the wagon than to vote...!

funny, really.

just_for_fun Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 2:04am
post #9 of 13

I was nervous about waiting, too - i got to my brooklyn, ny (in nyc) polling place just after 12. quite full for that time, but my line wa in and out, other lines in the same polling place was 10-15 ppl deep!

May the best man win! usaribbon.gif

SugarFrosted Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 2:06am
post #10 of 13

I'm in Little Rock, Arkansas and have seen on the news in the past few weeks about people standing in line for hours to vote early. With that information, I dumped my purse so I'd only have to carry what I truly needed, added a bottle of water and a book and some granola bars. Provisions, you know, for the long line and maybe a couple of hours wait. icon_rolleyes.gif

When I got to the voting place, the parking lot was almost empty, and there was no one outside. It made me double check my voter registration card to see if I was at the right place. Then I went inside, to find 8 voting volunteers and 2 voters. Wow! I was in and out in 10 minutes. thumbs_up.gif

On my way out I saw a friend and we had a short discussion about the 1988 election, for which we stood in line for 4 hours. Our old polling place was at an elementary school. My son was 11 months old and in a stroller. Back then we were using the old booth with the curtains and the big lever. There must have been 300+ people in line, in the kindergarten/first grade hallway of the school, during the middle of a school day. It was a nightmare for the teachers, I'm sure. After that the polling place was moved.

It will be interesting to see what happens next, that's for sure! usaribbon.gif I just hope we don't have another "Florida"...

Auryn Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 2:38am
post #11 of 13

well I'm in florida
and today I voted for the first time - I became a US citizen last year.

I was so excited and nervous at the same time when I walked in and they handed me my ballot.
I was nervous because its been common to have 2-4 hr waits around here.
I went at 5:45 and I was in and out in 10 min- I took my time to read all the amendments that I was voting for.

Although the popular vote for the presidency doesn't really mean much, Im glad so many people decided to exercise their privilege to vote (voting is not a constitutionally protected right).

I wore my "I voted" sticker proudly

indydebi Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 2:46am
post #12 of 13

auryn, congrats to you on hitting both of those milestones in your life!! party.gif I luv stories like yours!!

I worked with a very young lady from Russia, and on every election day, she was going desk to desk asking people if they voted and if not, when they were going to go. She was a one-man get-the-vote-out campaign!

it was fun to watch her enthusiasm! And it's wonderful that you shared yours with us today! thumbs_up.gif

SugarFrosted Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 3:25am
post #13 of 13
Originally Posted by Auryn

well I'm in florida
and today I voted for the first time - I became a US citizen last year.

Congratulations on your citizenship! And on voting for the first time! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%