Edible Image Printer

Decorating By 2girliesmama Updated 5 Nov 2008 , 5:46pm by tiggy2

2girliesmama Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 9:44pm
post #1 of 10

Does anyone know where I can get an Edible image printer that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. I have a small at home business so i don't need an industrial strength one or anything. I know canon and epson make some models. Does anyone know which models are compatible with edibles and where I could purchase one. Also where is a good place to purchase supplies and ink? Thanks guys.

9 replies
JaLa90016 Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 9:58pm
post #2 of 10

I bought an Epson CX8400 all in one printer. I purchased my printer on Ebay for $50.00. I bought the ink for a place called KopyKake. Kopy Kake sell the ink and printer sheets. Everything works great.

www.kopykake.com

Hope this helps!!!

rocketmom1985 Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 10:06pm
post #3 of 10

Was it a new or used printer? Can you use a printer you already have if you can get the ink cartriges for it? I have an extra printer sitting around that would be a good solution vs buying a new system.

hugs...

kimebarnes Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 10:21pm
post #4 of 10

from my understanding it has to be a new printer that never has never been used with regular ink,

jessicacourtney1 Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 10:29pm
post #5 of 10

But, can it just be a regular printer?

-Tubbs Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 10:29pm
post #6 of 10

Just so you know, the printer is the cheap part of the purchase!

Check out Kopykake and you'll see what I mean. The edible ink and icing sheets aren't cheap.

You can just go to Staples or wherever and see which printers they have on special. It will need to be a Canon or Epson - most seem to be compatible with KopyKake and they have a chart where you can check which cartridge set to buy. Be aware that with Canon (not sure with Epson), you have to pry the little chip off the regular ink cartridge and insert it into the edible ink cartridge before the printer will 'see' it. I have had loads of issues with this, and for this reason my printer is mothballed until I have reason to use it again. For small orders it is simpler, and less frustrating, for me to pay $10 for an edible image at the grocery store.

I don't want to be a downer - when it works it's a lot of fun! icon_smile.gif

Regarding using an existing printer, I think you could, as long as you washed the print head really thoroughly (you can also soak in alcohol to clean it). I know people throw their hands up in horror at the thought, but if you don't switch back and forth, and really clean it well before use, I would think it would be ok.

JaLa90016 Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 10:42pm
post #7 of 10

The sheets and ink are a little pricey. However, I have the Epson CX 8400 and I didn't have any problems. It worked like a charm and waS REAL easy to install. The tech guy at kopy kake walked me through the printing preference set up and they print wonderfully.

You can print out about 75 sheets per ink set. What I did to make up the cost was I sold the frosting sheets for $10.00 each and if you sell 10 sheets for $10.00, you will have made your money back.

Hope this helps....

JaLa90016 Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 10:53pm
post #8 of 10

Oh yeah, I forgot to add that with the Epson CX 8400, has a built in printer cleaner head because you have to install the factory ink cartridges in order for the printer to work. AFter you install the ink cartriidges, remove them and install the edible ink cartridges and you are good to go..

Hope this helps....Good luck and have fun!!!

2girliesmama Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 2:22am
post #9 of 10

Thanks guys icon_biggrin.gif I am getting more and more orders for couture purse cakes and hand painting logos is no walk in the park icon_lol.gif

tiggy2 Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 5:46pm
post #10 of 10

For the epsons you can order refillable cartridges on ebay that don't require a chip and it saves a lot of money on the colors. I just buy the refill kit and fill my cartridges right in the printer (after the initial filling). Works like a charm. I also got my printer (all in one) on ebay for under $60 with a usb cable.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%