Is It Difficult To Learn How To Work With Gumpaste??

Decorating By melissablack Updated 5 Nov 2008 , 7:18am by phoufer

melissablack Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 9:42pm
post #1 of 7

I am attempting to try gumpaste for the first time, to make a baby figure in a basket, and some baby clothes (for a clothesline baby shower cake)... Is this something that can be self-taught or do you all take classes to learn how to use gumpaste? I have used fondant for basic decorating, but never took the wilton class 4 or anything learning how to use fondant or gumpaste. I don't have much faith in myself!

6 replies
gr8cakemaker Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 9:47pm
post #2 of 7

have faith! working with gumpaste is pretty simple. I taught myself to use it. A few things to keep in mind are to work quickly because it dries fairly quickly. If you are good at working with fondant, I think you will be just as good with gumpaste, if not better! HTH

Malakin Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 10:57pm
post #3 of 7

Check out tonedna1 on youtube. She gives really good advice. With your work you've done and your skill level, should be no problem. Save yourself the time with the Wilton class 4, they didn't go into detail very much.

Bonnell Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 11:15pm
post #4 of 7

I agree with Malakin about the Wilton class 4. I'm in the class now and had already taught myself most of what we are "learning" in class. Just dive in and start playing around with the gumpaste and watch all the tutorials you can on YouTube and other sites. There are more out there than you realize. I made my first fondant/gumpaste figure last month and was surprised how well it came out. Good luck.

kakeladi Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 4:01am
post #5 of 7

It as easy to work with. Have you ever played w/PlayDough? Polymer clay? It's exactly the same.

melissablack Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 6:54am
post #6 of 7

ok, well thanks everyone for the advice... you've been very encouraging! i will check out youtube and try to find some tutorials.

phoufer Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 7:18am
post #7 of 7

When you check out Utube, check Aine2's video she give awesome instructions, that's how I learned to work with it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%