Creme Bouquet Question

Decorating By FlourPots Updated 6 Nov 2008 , 5:34pm by kimblyd

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 9:40pm
post #1 of 9

Is this stuff supposed to taste really bad straight from the bottle? I purchased the CK products brand and it smells quite good, but after sampling a pinch on my finger I'm afraid to ruin a batch of whatever I add it into (probably fondant).

8 replies
alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 10:10pm
post #2 of 9

Yes, it tastes really bad from the bottle, just like straight vanilla extract does. I use it in buttercream, fondant, and white cake and it lends a very mild citrus flavor. 1 tsp of cream bouquet and 1 tsp of vanilla in a batch of Michelle Foster's fondant (4 lbs powdered sugar) is very nice.

FlourPots Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 10:38pm
post #3 of 9

OK...thanks...great point about the vanilla, didn't even think of that.

spring Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spring Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 2:14am
post #4 of 9

I think the Magic Line Creme Bouquet tastes much better than the CK brand.

FlourPots Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 3:00am
post #5 of 9

Really...then I definitely want to try the Magic Line brand also, to compare, thanks.

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 3:15am
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Quote:

Yes, it tastes really bad from the bottle, just like straight vanilla extract does.

I would imagine most extracts taste a bit much straight from the bottle. That's why a little usually goes a long way. I have the Ck brand CB and just love it. I use it in white a lot of my white cakes, bc and mm fondant and I get rave reviews every single time. This summer I purchased some Princess Baking Emulsion by Lorann and love it too. I think they're similar but the Cb is a little more citrus-y. It's my secret ingredient and people are always trying to figure out that certain taste but I'll never tell. They've even asked my daughter and she always says "oh, that's a secret". Last year my granddaughter's teacher was determined to find out what I put in the cupcakes I'd brought for my gr daughter's b-day party (before good stuff was banned) and even she told the teacher it was a secret. Try the creme bouquet, I think you'll like it.

FlourPots Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 6:25am
post #7 of 9

I don't know why I never thought of Creme Bouquet as an extract...somehow in my mind it was this really sweet and delicious concoction, as is....that was my expectation, and it didn't help that the bottle had no seal at all to protect against tampering.

Can't wait to try it, CarolAnn.

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 5:03pm
post #8 of 9

I know how pungent it is, I tasted it too. Start out with a small amount. I think you'll like it.
Carol

kimblyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimblyd Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 5:34pm
post #9 of 9

FlourPots,

I thought the exact same thing about the taste of CK creme bouquet and the fact that it wasn't factory sealed.

It was so bitter I was afraid something was wrong with my bottle so I threw it out.

Bought some Magic Line butter/vanilla and love that stuff. I also have the Wedding Bouquet recommended by SugarShack and use just a little. It smells heavenly, but a little too much almond for my taste.

I do plan on trying creme bouquet again, but will buy Magic Line.

Kim

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%