Play-Doh Toys??

Decorating By lkoenig07 Updated 6 Nov 2008 , 2:26pm by juleskaye518

lkoenig07 Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 9:05pm
post #1 of 12

I was wondering if anyone uses Play-Doh toys for cake decorating? My husband said something about that the other day, and I've been thinking about it. My kids aren't old enough to play with it yet, so I don't know what's out there.

11 replies
M_Mischief Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 12:01am
post #2 of 12

I have done in the past as they've been handy, but I wouldn't got out and especially buy them for cake decorating, as I don't think they're cheaper than cutters made especially for the job. icon_smile.gif

cherrycakes Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 2:53am
post #3 of 12

I was in a pinch and needed to make thin strips of fondant. I used a Play-Do plunger thing in place of a clay extractor. It worked great for me!

cylstrial Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 10:08pm
post #4 of 12

I bought a little $5 dollar thing from Walmart and it did work. The only thing was that the fondant came out a little cracked. It could have just been my fondant was a little dry. I'll find out when I use it again. But I did just go and buy it for myself. (My son isn't old enough for Playdo yet).

superstar Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 11:42pm
post #5 of 12

I have a few play doh toys, like Thomas the Train etc & the molds work very well.

Win Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 11:50pm
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Quote:

I bought a little $5 dollar thing from Walmart and it did work. The only thing was that the fondant came out a little cracked. It could have just been my fondant was a little dry. I'll find out when I use it again.

Whatever it is you use to "push" fondant through... an extruder or play-doh, add extra shortening to the fondant with which you are working. That will keep it from cracking or from looking like it had ragged edges.

HTH

cherrycakes Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 12:22am
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Win

Quote:
Quote:

I bought a little $5 dollar thing from Walmart and it did work. The only thing was that the fondant came out a little cracked. It could have just been my fondant was a little dry. I'll find out when I use it again.

Whatever it is you use to "push" fondant through... an extruder or play-doh, add extra shortening to the fondant with which you are working. That will keep it from cracking or from looking like it had ragged edges.

HTH

Thanks for this information as I had the same thing happen with the ragged edges. I'll try adding extra Crisco next time!

cylstrial Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 12:48pm
post #8 of 12

Yes! Thanks for the help about the crisco so that it won't come out dry and ragged! I really appreciate it!

lkoenig07 Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 1:36pm
post #9 of 12

thanks guys!

CakeswLove Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 1:59pm
post #10 of 12

Oh yes I own a couple of these myself and I Love them I even found these cute little molds from Roseart at Target last weekend for .88 cents and there is five molds and a handy little tool.

giraffe11 Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 2:18pm
post #11 of 12

I have some plunger molds from Moon Sand that are great! I actually bought my son a second set, so I could steal his plunger! icon_lol.gif
Heather

juleskaye518 Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 2:26pm
post #12 of 12

I've used a plunger thingy that my son has. AND play-do toys can be put through the dish washer to make sure all the clay is gone first!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%