1St Wedding Cake, Happy, Scared Undercharger Needing Help:od

Decorating By HannahLass Updated 5 Nov 2008 , 9:27am by MissBaritone

HannahLass Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 8:43pm
post #1 of 7

A few weeks ago a colleague at work asked if I could make a heart shaped engagement cake for her friends daughter (they had seen photos of my cakes) I said yes. ( it is in my photos heart shaped cake) I made it and sent it with my colleague to the part they loved it which I was thrilled with. The mother of the bride to be has also just become engaged (this weekend) and said to my colleague I want Hannah to make my cake. I mean lol she gets engaged calls her friend (my colleague) to tell her the happy news and the second thing she says is i want Hannah to make my cake.
I'm slightly worried, incredibly flattered but thinking there are a lot of expectations to live up to. I've done a few stacked cakes so not worried about that, but just worried in general. Especially since I never know what to charge they want a 6 8 10 inch vanilla madeira cakes ivory fondant ,fresh flowers in ivory/cream and some swiss dots or scrolls, simple clean elegant. I always under charge for my cakes not quite figured it out yet any one help what should I quote? Im not the best at this I think my cakes look ok but there are a lot of things I see that i need to do better. If you could help I would be sooo happy.

6 replies
-K8memphis Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 8:55pm
post #2 of 7

I think $5 a serving is a respectable starting place--for a special recipe and fondanted cake. Add on more for the flowers, and delivery.

What exactly is a vanilla madeira cake??

pattigunter Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 8:56pm
post #3 of 7

I am also a chronic under-charger. I usually end up giving my cakes away "as my gift".

Why dont you call a few bakeries in your area and ask them for a quote on this cake and go from there. It sounds like they really want you to do their cake so they should be willing to pay you the going rate.

-K8memphis Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 8:58pm
post #4 of 7

Ok I looked it up and I think I know what a vanilla madeira is. It sounds like a pound cake.

And so I would not budge not one frog hair less than $5. Because a special order like that is worth every penny.

HannahLass Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 9:51pm
post #5 of 7

lol K8 I always forget about that, Im over in the UK. It's simple cake but they loved the one I did for her daughters engagement and want me to make another I was thinking £150 approx $300 $5 a serving is £185 /$370 does that sound reasonable? I just don't know. I only do this for fun really I'm not a legal baker just from my house. (I dont even know the laws regarding home baking over here.) Which is clean (slightly ocd with the cleaning). A cake shop has just opened in the nearest town to my home and I drove past the other day and looking in the window and nearly crashed the car!! The cakes they had as window display I wouldn't let leave my kitchen (perfectionist with OCD it can take me a while to get a cake to the point i can let it leave lol) It was basically 2 tiers (dodgy icing) and what looked like the wilton castle kit. Isnt that for home bakers?? Im not saying there is anything wrong with it but do people not expect more when they go to a speciality cake shop? I would be mortified if what I saw had been made by me. Sorry if you can follow that mind vomit (gross I know) I applaud you. HanXXX

-K8memphis Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 10:36pm
post #6 of 7

I think you're in the right direction. Sounds very good. I mean some folks just give away the freakin cake and it's like why why why. You are doing yourself good. But charge for the delivery and the flowers--or better yet have them get the flowers.

Good job!!

Then again I don't know what's normal for the UK --so that'd be a fair price for my neck of the woods.

Take Care, Cake-Buddy

MissBaritone Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 9:27am
post #7 of 7

I'd say you're still undercharging.

In the UK maderia and Fondant are normal recipes to order The average price for a 3 tier cake round here is £250. I normally charge about £200 but I know I undercharge as well. However £200 still covers my costs and gives me a small profit taking my time into account

Quote by @%username% on %date%