Should Someone Just Smack Me Or Go For It?!?!?

Decorating By butterfly831915 Updated 10 Nov 2008 , 8:07pm by -K8memphis

butterfly831915 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterfly831915 Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 6:59pm
post #1 of 15

icon_rolleyes.gif Okay, I am making my little sisters baby shower cake this weekend and I am getting a brain storm and just can't decide if I should go for it or stop where I was at before the storm. For her shower I want to do a hat box cake with the baby's head popping out of it and then some cupcakes. Now as I sat here on CC all day at work I am brain storming and thinking, maybe I should do another hat box with the butt popping out of it, like the baby may be trying to crawl out of the box backwards one on each end of the table with the punch fountain in the center instead of end to end. I should explain that it will be my first time using mmf and shaping as well. I am pretty new at all of this but I want it to be something so special for her. I don't care how much time it takes for me to do it. Heck, I've been working for months on the actual shower, hand made invites 100 of them, all home made center pieces out of baby socks to look like flowers, all the games persionalized and even the main hanging decorations have been homemade as well as all the table clothes. Do you think the cakes would be odd or should I just go for it or should someone smack me to stop my brain storm. Help!! I think I'm going out of control!!! icon_eek.gifthumbsdown.gifthumbs_up.gificon_rolleyes.gif

14 replies
Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 7:03pm
post #2 of 15

I say you stick with your original idea, the less explaining you have to do, the better.

WendyB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WendyB Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 7:03pm
post #3 of 15

I think just the head/hatbox sounds fantastic. Unless you need more cake I'd just concentrate on cook little details on the one cake.

It will be great no matter what you decide!

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 7:04pm
post #4 of 15

I personally am creeped out by the baby body cakes, particularly those with only butts. For this one, you would assume the rest of the baby was in the box, but there are some that you just have to question how the baby got itself in this contortion.
My personal opinions aside, if you think the mother to be would like it, I say go for it.

saberger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saberger Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 7:06pm
post #5 of 15

First off...congrats to your sister! I have three kids and I think if I were to see a baby head popping out of a hat box I would be a little weirded out. Sorry I most definitely am NOT trying to offend!!! I personally LOVE their butts (so squishy and cute) icon_smile.gif so if you really want to do the hatbox thing then I say to do the butt.

But (no pun intended), what about the head peeking out from a blanket or something? - now that is something that would have made me cry with joy and anticipation.

Good luck. And there is NO such thing as going CRAZY because if there is.....I am THERE already!! icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

Frankyola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frankyola Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 7:16pm
post #6 of 15

Hi!! maybe you guys will think I am crazy but my advise is if you think you can do it GO FOR IT!!! judge.gifshhh.gif just think it is going to take you longer than you think don't forget that, but if you want to surprise your littler sister and you doing it with all your love you are going to do an amazing job. I am so wild and I have never work on 3D cakes, never took classes before, never work with fondant enough to get experience to make a 3 D cake and I made my PIRATE SHIP I know it wasn't perfect but I was pretty happy with it, every body at the party love it and I have 3 clients for a pirate ship now. Ahh one more thing if you can do a try before you do the real one that will be perfect, my sample (1st. try was horrible icon_cry.gificon_lol.gif ) but I decide to go for it and I did it.

Sorry long story.

Don't forget to post a picture wherever you decide, thumbs_up.gif

Frankyola Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 7:18pm
post #7 of 15

I forgot one more thing I used Ronda's MMF for 1st. time and I love it.

Thank You!!!

dreamn900 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamn900 Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 7:22pm
post #8 of 15

I think you would have to create a notecard with an explanation if you do decide to go for it. I know I would be pretty confused if I were a guest, but if you think your sister would love it then do it.

Rebelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rebelady Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 7:24pm
post #9 of 15

Ok. You have out a ton of work into this shower!!! That is so awesome of you!!! I am new to all of this also so I will give some advice from a newbie's point of view. If you are new to sculpting do a practice run first. Human faces are a fairly hard thing to do. If you have an animated baby for your inspiration it's much easier. I am not a big fan of the baby body parts cakes but if it's what you want go for it!!!!! I learned that the more your heart is in a cake the better it turns out, so do what your heart desires. Good Luck!!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

giraffe11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
giraffe11 Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 7:26pm
post #10 of 15

Ah....you sound just as crazy as me with the party planning! I love to do every little thing to the last little detail......homemade invitations and decorations and menu, etc. I had both of my boy's first birthday party themes picked out before they were born!.....I know.....I'm over the top.....but it gave me lots of time to find appropriate accesories and to handmake everything....outside of work hours!
That said....you have to count me in the number of people who can't stand the realistic baby body parts cakes (cartoonish babies are OK).......I just can't get over the mental image of cutting off baby's head and eating it....or gutting baby...hacking off a limb.....or what have you. KWIM?
But if your sister would be cool with it, then I say GO FOR IT.
If you are, in fact, as crazy as me, with the party planning, you will revel in the extra work and challenge involved with getting every last detail done and you'll be happy (and maybe a little tired icon_lol.gif )with the result.
Your sister is lucky to have you!
Good Luck. Heather

butterfly831915 Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 7:37pm
post #11 of 15

My sister is the one who picked out the whole baby peeking out of a box or crawling out. Right now we need enough cake for about 65 people. I am doing cupcakes anyway, just want to make sure there is enough cake to go arround when I did her graduation cake a few years ago, made enough for at least 75 and we didn't have enough even though only 30 were invited. Yikes, couldn't believe it, most of them had never had a cake that wasn't bought at wal-mart. I baby will not be eaten. I myself had not thought about anyone being wigged out over the baby in in the cake, maybe I should think of something else and run by her. Don't know if she has thought of that or not. I am not going for life like, kinda cartoon but not too cartoon. I practiced with playdoh, I know it's not the same but it was cheeper to practice with. I know it is a odd thing but it has been a running joke that she is going to have twins and she just doesn't know it yet. She also mentioned wanting to make sure there is enough untouched cake left that she could save it for her daughters first birthday party for her cake to smash into and make a mess. Kinda like wedding toppers, save for the first annivesery. Maybe I'll just make one hat box and a quilt topped sheet cake? So confused now.

glendaleAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glendaleAZ Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 2:21am
post #12 of 15

Hi butterfly831915,

Just an idea, but how about two toy boxes. You could have one baby peeking out from under the lid and the other baby falling in the toy box with the lid resting on the baby's back. And, instead of showing the entire bare butt, you could just show the top part of the babyâs bottom, people seem to think that's cute.

I guess, I only though of the babies as a decoration; to be saved by your sister and not to be eaten.

Good Luck, and be sure to post the pics. I would love to see what you come up with.

PS Your sister is one luck girl.

Tammy

Frankyola Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 2:40am
post #13 of 15

That is an amazing idea glendaleAZ. butterfly831915 should consider that idea I think that would be soooo cute and your sister will love it.

blessing for everybody.

butterfly831915 Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 8:01pm
post #14 of 15

Couldn't get it to take my picture as an attachment, if you go to my photos you'll find the baby shower cake. it was a hit. everyone loved it and several wanted to order cakes for future events in their families. Yeah!!!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 8:07pm
post #15 of 15

That's adorable!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%