Black Fondant???

Decorating By peg91170 Updated 5 Nov 2008 , 2:04am by jlsheik

peg91170 Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 6:58pm
post #1 of 12

I've tried making it before and it didn't work out for me. I made chocolate fondant and then added black coloring to that. All it did was make it a dark brown. I'm making a penguin cake for my son's bday next month. Pls help!

11 replies
CakeMakar Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 7:07pm
post #2 of 12

I always buy black when I need it, unless its just a bit. I make the rest of my fondant at home. Black & when I need a good red.

If you're stuck on making it, I would recommend adding a lot of black food color to the liquid part of the fondant making (for example when melting the MM in MMF).

hpotter83 Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 7:09pm
post #3 of 12

I used this recipe. And man, it was black. Check out my pics...its what I used to make that spider.

Its gross, stringy and crazy sticky before you put in the sugar, so don't worry, your not doing it wrong!

rafaella Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 7:10pm
post #4 of 12

it's very hard to make black fondant, i usually buy mine from:
www.intotheoven, you have time if you prefer to order? i get my orders in 4 days.
Hope this will help!

leah_s Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 7:10pm
post #5 of 12

Black and red, I would definitely buy. SatinIce makes great colors, and you can purchase them in 2 pound containers.

Amy729 Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 7:22pm
post #6 of 12

I usually make my black. I use the recipe for chocolate mmf and add a good bit of black americolor and mix before adding the powdered sugar. It really is easy to do. I don't use it that much so it isn't too much trouble.

for all other fondant I use Jen's chocolate fondant recipe. Yum!

Frankyola Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 7:22pm
post #7 of 12

I always have trouble to make black for my pirate ship I made chocolate MMF (Ronda's MMF) and then I add a lot of black to it and I got a really black MMF. I just add 1 cup of dark chocolate candy melts and like half container of black wilton color and got it.

I hope it help!!

peg91170 Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 1:30am
post #8 of 12

Thanks everyone for all your great advice. I think my biggest mistake was that I added the food coloring after I had mixed the fondant as I would for adding any other coloring to fondant. I think I'll try that recipe bama suggested.

tinabee Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 1:37am
post #9 of 12

Use Hershey's cocoa special dark in addition to the powdered sugar. You will have to add very little black color and it will get black fast!!

Eisskween Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 1:49am
post #10 of 12

I agree with Leahs. Satin Ice has a great black and red, I have the purple too and love them. They also taste good as well.

EnjoyTheCake Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 1:57am
post #11 of 12

I let my newly colored fondant sit for a day or 2 before I try to use it. This usually helps my fondant intensify in color.

jlsheik Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 2:04am
post #12 of 12

Chocolate Pettenice and black food coloring works everytime!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%