Black Fondant???

Decorating By peg91170 Updated 5 Nov 2008 , 2:04am by jlsheik

peg91170 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg91170 Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 6:58pm
post #1 of 12

I've tried making it before and it didn't work out for me. I made chocolate fondant and then added black coloring to that. All it did was make it a dark brown. I'm making a penguin cake for my son's bday next month. Pls help!

11 replies
CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 7:07pm
post #2 of 12

I always buy black when I need it, unless its just a bit. I make the rest of my fondant at home. Black & when I need a good red.

If you're stuck on making it, I would recommend adding a lot of black food color to the liquid part of the fondant making (for example when melting the MM in MMF).

hpotter83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hpotter83 Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 7:09pm
post #3 of 12

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-6971-True-Black-MMF.html

I used this recipe. And man, it was black. Check out my pics...its what I used to make that spider.

Its gross, stringy and crazy sticky before you put in the sugar, so don't worry, your not doing it wrong!

rafaella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rafaella Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 7:10pm
post #4 of 12

it's very hard to make black fondant, i usually buy mine from:
www.intotheoven, you have time if you prefer to order? i get my orders in 4 days.
Hope this will help!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 7:10pm
post #5 of 12

Black and red, I would definitely buy. SatinIce makes great colors, and you can purchase them in 2 pound containers.

Amy729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amy729 Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 7:22pm
post #6 of 12

I usually make my black. I use the recipe for chocolate mmf and add a good bit of black americolor and mix before adding the powdered sugar. It really is easy to do. I don't use it that much so it isn't too much trouble.

for all other fondant I use Jen's chocolate fondant recipe. Yum!

Frankyola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frankyola Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 7:22pm
post #7 of 12

I always have trouble to make black for my pirate ship I made chocolate MMF (Ronda's MMF) and then I add a lot of black to it and I got a really black MMF. I just add 1 cup of dark chocolate candy melts and like half container of black wilton color and got it.

I hope it help!!

peg91170 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg91170 Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 1:30am
post #8 of 12

Thanks everyone for all your great advice. I think my biggest mistake was that I added the food coloring after I had mixed the fondant as I would for adding any other coloring to fondant. I think I'll try that recipe bama suggested.

tinabee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinabee Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 1:37am
post #9 of 12

Use Hershey's cocoa special dark in addition to the powdered sugar. You will have to add very little black color and it will get black fast!!

Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 1:49am
post #10 of 12

I agree with Leahs. Satin Ice has a great black and red, I have the purple too and love them. They also taste good as well.

EnjoyTheCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EnjoyTheCake Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 1:57am
post #11 of 12

I let my newly colored fondant sit for a day or 2 before I try to use it. This usually helps my fondant intensify in color.

jlsheik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlsheik Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 2:04am
post #12 of 12

Chocolate Pettenice and black food coloring works everytime!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%