Make Figures Waaaay Ahead Of When Cake Is Needed?

Decorating By maggiev777 Updated 5 Nov 2008 , 3:15pm by ladybug76

maggiev777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maggiev777 Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 6:58pm
post #1 of 8

I am going to make a cake similar to this one in January:
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1198355.html

I was wondering, though - can I make the figures waaaaay in advance? Like now (two months ahead of time)?

If I can, would it be best to make them out of gumpaste, fondant, or a combination of gumpaste and fondant? And how should I store them so they look as fresh as possible?

7 replies
Superstar2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Superstar2 Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 7:09pm
post #2 of 8

Maggiev777, I don't see why you can make your figures for your cake due in January now. I do it all the time. Depending on where you live you may have issues such as moisture. I live in So. California and don't have any problems using fondant/ gum paste mixture with tylos. I have actually used a figure I made over a year ago, it looked fantastic. I do store in a box with bubble rap in my cake decorating closet, don't want it to get broken in an earthquake. Good luck.

sugarplumfairycanada Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarplumfairycanada Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 7:21pm
post #3 of 8

Why not? Just keep out of direct sunlight to prevent fading!

ladybug76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladybug76 Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 7:39pm
post #4 of 8

I agree..... you should be able to work on them ahead of time. I store mine in plastic containers with bubble wrap (losely) securing them in my 'cake closet' to prevent the sun from damaging. In fact, I made a Mother Goose cake (in my pics, sorry.... I don't know how to attach a link to pics on the forums yet!!!) which I made the figures ahead of time and then plopped them on once the cake was assembled. Good luck and have fun!!! ~ Jaime

sillyoldpoohbear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillyoldpoohbear Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 7:47pm
post #5 of 8

I always make my figures ahead of time especially when I know I've got a busy period coming up. I made a Barney, in fondant, for my niece 20 months ago & it's still sitting in her moms display case looking perfect.

I love that you all have 'cake closets' I really must get one of those icon_biggrin.gif

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 7:49pm
post #6 of 8

I always make figures way ahead of time. If I have a couple of hours I'll look through my orders and start making all figures that are on the books, assembly-line style.

maggiev777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maggiev777 Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 3:48am
post #7 of 8

Ooooh what great news! Thanks for all the replies. I will definitely make them well in advance though. It will be nice to have so much less pressure in January!

And Ladybug76 - I love your Mother goose cake too!! Mind if I use some of your ideas? And I would love to see other shots of it, if you have any. I'll PM you my email address if you would mind sending pics of other angles. But if you can't or don't want to, no worries icon_smile.gif

Thanks again for the input!

ladybug76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladybug76 Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 3:15pm
post #8 of 8

No problem...... No greater compliment for someone to be inspired by one of my designs!! I will send pics over the weekend!!!
Thanks for the kind words!!!
~Jaime

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%