Gift Box Cake Cover - Which Method Is Better?

Decorating By fondantfrenzy Updated 5 Nov 2008 , 11:01pm by fondantfrenzy

fondantfrenzy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantfrenzy Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 6:23pm
post #1 of 5

Hi I have been scared to do a gift box cake with a closed lid. now my friend wants me to make one and I am scared. What looks the best and is the easiest? Placing a strip along the top corner or folding over a piece of fondant over the top shorter than the cake ? I am assuming that is how you would do it? I know there are other topics out there but I would like to know if anyone has any input on the pro's and cons of each and which one is easier and looks better?

Thanks in advance for your help.

4 replies
2girliesmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2girliesmama Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 9:33pm
post #2 of 5

Hi, I just did my first box (round) and got rave reviews from the birthday guests and honoree. I used a wilton tool they make for cutting and embossing ribbons and strips etc. and just made a long strip of fondant and put it just a hair lower than the edge of the cake to create a rim and give the illustion of a top.It was easy and did the trick. (the cake was covered in BC). If you wanted to take it a step further you could do the above, but also make a piece the same size and shape as the top of the cake, place it on top, and adhere the seam of the two together. I Have a photo of mine in my gallery ( i'd link you, but not sure how yet). Search gift box and I'm 2girliesmama( the cake is yellow). Hope this helps. OH! and there is also a post in this forum section about a hat box and instructions that is very helpful too. She fills hers with flowers and it is gorgeous and much more advanced than mine( think her name is fairy..something). Good luck thumbs_up.gif

luvbakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbakin Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 2:16am
post #3 of 5

I have also heard of cutting a piece of gumpaste for the top and sides (you could use the cake pan as a pattern), then letting it dry, and finally sticking it all together with royal icing. Kind of like how you would put together a gingerbread house.

anamado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anamado Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 9:29pm
post #4 of 5

I made one out of pastillage, and when it was hard I covered it the with the same mmf I used for the "box"
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-605665-.html
But maybe this is better when you need an open box...

fondantfrenzy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantfrenzy Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 11:01pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you guys, you guys are all awesome..thank you so much....The round cake one is nice..that is awesome....

Anamado, your cake tutorial is awesome....i think it will be a while before i even attempt to do that one....i havent made a cake in so long....your tutorial make is sooo easy..ha ha h ahha

Luvbakin, your gift cake looks great...i was worried about the strip looking tacki but it doesnt..

luvbakin, thanks for the tip....i still dont know which method i am going to use becuase all your tips seem easy enough Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%