Crumbs In Icing Even With Crumb Coat

Decorating By TyTy78 Updated 4 Nov 2008 , 7:42pm by TyTy78

TyTy78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TyTy78 Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 5:23pm
post #1 of 12

I have a question. Every time I ice a cake I still end up with crumbs in it, even with a crumb coat. Can someone please share with me how I can avoid this. I let the cake sit after I apply the crumb coat. I don't know what I could be doing wrong. icon_redface.gif Please help I want to get this right.

TIA

11 replies
MosMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MosMom Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 5:34pm
post #2 of 12

Maybe chill your crumb coat so the crumbs really get set in that coat. When you go to put your buttercream on the cake, you want to try to gently spread it on in a thick layer and don't fuss with the crumb coat. You get that outer layer on thick and then remove it from the outside in so you don't get close to those crumbs.

TheDomesticDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheDomesticDiva Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 5:34pm
post #3 of 12

Have you tried sticking it in the fridge after you crumbcoat it?? That helps me tons. The icing with the crumbs is cold enough afterwards that you can go ahead with another layer of icing without it pulling back into the new stuff.

KASCARLETT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KASCARLETT Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 5:39pm
post #4 of 12

When you go to put the final "layer" of icing on, put it on thick enough that your spatula does not touch the cake.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 5:50pm
post #5 of 12

Don't forget that icing a cake is all about taking it off, not putting it on. Cover that baby thick and fast (after the chilled crumb coat) and then scrape it off nicely.

pianocat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pianocat Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 5:55pm
post #6 of 12

I sometimes use the large Wilton icing tip and don't even crumb coat. It goes on thick enough and then you just smooth.

staceyboots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceyboots Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 5:58pm
post #7 of 12

tyty,

maybe it is the recipe? maybe you can share the recipe here...i believe that the fat to sugar ratio of the recipe may affect the buttercream's ability to crust

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 6:04pm
post #8 of 12

Yep, chill that crumbcoated cake before you apply the final coat. Oh, and make sure you don't stick your spatual in to the bowl of icing if you have crumbs on it....now you will spread crumbs in to the rest of the icing.

TyTy78 Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 6:29pm
post #9 of 12

Thank you all for the wonderful advice. I will definitely use all these tips. You guys ROCK!!!! (as my son can say)

TyTy78 Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 6:37pm
post #10 of 12

Jamie85364
I used Indydebi's buttercream and I don't have a problem with it crusting. I think I didn't let it sit long enough. You know hind sight is 20/20 so, when I thought about it again I didn't have enough on the spatula and it kept touching the cake. I'll keep practicing. Thanks for the replies.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 6:56pm
post #11 of 12

I think the most important thing that I do personally, is chill the heck out of the cake after I crumb coat. Then it is like applying icing to a wall...nice and smooth, firm, and no crumbies are gonna pop out into your icing.

TyTy78 Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 7:42pm
post #12 of 12

Thanks, will make sure that's what i do next time. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%