Quick Help Please- Dessert Tray

Decorating By Lenette Updated 5 Nov 2008 , 1:50am by twooten173

Lenette Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 3:35pm
post #1 of 14

My neighbor works at the local university and I have been trying to get my foot in the door there. They are on a budget of course. So, she needs a dessert tray for about 75 people for $75-$100.

I am thinking some assorted cookies/bars, boxed and it will be up to them to display it for that money.

Any thoughts or assistance on this? Oh, and nothing can have last minute prep as my kids have an event this weekend that I promised I would be at.

TIA!

Thanks!

13 replies
stsapph Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 3:55pm
post #2 of 14

The cookies and bars sound great. Maybe some brownies too? I would just do some basic cookies - chocolate chip, oatmeal, or sugar. Then maybe some lemon bars or brownies. You can freeze all of them if need to, but I think they should be ok. I think about 50 cookies and maybe 25-50 pieces of bars. My normal brownies are about 3x3x1 and I cut them into 6 pieces for my plates to make them bite size, so you probably only would need a few batches of different bars. Good luck and have fun!

Mike1394 Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 7:20pm
post #3 of 14

Mini Cheescakes. Take a lil muffin pan put a disc of crust and pour. They hold 2oz of batter. The batter I have for a 9" will make 96 minis. Then a dollop of whipped cream, and your in. In the same pan take some puff dough a lil apple pie filling, and bake. With the same puff dough you can make lil circles let them bake cut in 1/2 fill with whipped cream. All of that shouldn't cost no more than 20.

Mike

Solecito Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 7:30pm
post #4 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1394

Mini Cheescakes. Take a lil muffin pan put a disc of crust and pour. They hold 2oz of batter. The batter I have for a 9" will make 96 minis. Then a dollop of whipped cream, and your in. In the same pan take some puff dough a lil apple pie filling, and bake. With the same puff dough you can make lil circles let them bake cut in 1/2 fill with whipped cream. All of that shouldn't cost no more than 20.

Mike

Very good ideas!! Thanks for sharing.

twooten173 Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 7:30pm
post #5 of 14

I like Mike's idea about mini cheesecakes. They are always a hit. I have a really good and easy recipe if you are interested - not that there is anything wrong with Mike's!

KHalstead Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 7:31pm
post #6 of 14

yummy, I'll bet you could get creative with the mini cheesecake flavors too.......maybe add some chocolate to a portion of the batter or even some pumpkin puree and pumpkin pie spice..mmmmm

twooten173 Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 7:43pm
post #7 of 14

My personal favorite on cheesecake is cherries.

MosMom Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 7:52pm
post #8 of 14

You could display them on inexpensive trays covered with inexpensive doilies. It looks nice and it is better than saying that it is up to them to display them. You don't have to have trays for 75 desserts, you can do just a few trays and then have them refill on their own.

My aunt is a caterer and this is what we do.

-Tubbs Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 10:58pm
post #9 of 14

Am I the only one that thinks they should just get a few packets of Oreos and Twinkies?

Have you worked out how much it will cost in ingredients to cater for 75 people? For bite-size, you need to allow 3-4 items per person. You will surely spend half their budget just on ingredients, especially if you're making nice things like brownies and cherry cheesecake. Basic drop cookies, maybe, but anything else would be ingredient- and time- expensive.

I know you want to get your foot in the door, so maybe do it once, so they get to taste your goodies, but make it clear on your invoice what the 'proper' (next time) price would be.

Mike1394 Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 11:08pm
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by TubbsCookies

Am I the only one that thinks they should just get a few packets of Oreos and Twinkies?

Have you worked out how much it will cost in ingredients to cater for 75 people? For bite-size, you need to allow 3-4 items per person. You will surely spend half their budget just on ingredients, especially if you're making nice things like brownies and cherry cheesecake. Basic drop cookies, maybe, but anything else would be ingredient- and time- expensive.

I know you want to get your foot in the door, so maybe do it once, so they get to taste your goodies, but make it clear on your invoice what the 'proper' (next time) price would be.

That's why I said what I said. I just did the same thing over the weekend. I made strawberry, and pumpkin cheescakes. Then there were the puff pastry items. I make my own puff so the cost of a lb of flour, and butter isn't that much. What I laid out can be made for around 20. they will all be two bites, unless someone is a hog LOLOL

Lennette I need to download some pics of the items I made. If you want them my e-mail is [email protected]

Mike

terri-jo Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 11:24pm
post #11 of 14

Hey Mike,

Is it hard to get the little cheesecakes out of mini-muffin tins? It's such a good idea, but knowing me, they'd fall apart when I tried to get them out. Is there a trick?

Thanks,

Teresa

Mike1394 Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 11:50pm
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by terri-jo

Hey Mike,

Is it hard to get the little cheesecakes out of mini-muffin tins? It's such a good idea, but knowing me, they'd fall apart when I tried to get them out. Is there a trick?

Thanks,

Teresa

Not at all. Mine are teflon coated, and all I do is take a thin paring knife around the mini and out the come.

You will have to watch baking time. Gauge it on if you touch the top of them, and your finger comes off clean they are done. They don't take long to bake.

Mike

Lenette Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 1:36am
post #13 of 14

Thank you all for your replies!

Unfortunately after all that she called me back to say that her co-worker wanted to spend even less so they are going to the grocery store.

I am so frustrated, seems to keep happening to me! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

Oh well, I wasn't going to to do it for a penny cheaper, the budget was pushing it anyway. I appreciate that she thought of me and tried but maybe I will make some cookies for my kiddos this weekend instead. icon_wink.gif

twooten173 Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 1:50am
post #14 of 14

I do my mini cheesecakes in the mini muffin liners. Very easy to do.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%