Choc. Mmf ???

Decorating By lecrn Updated 6 Nov 2008 , 12:37pm by cathie_shinnick

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 1:30pm
post #1 of 14

I just made choc. MMF for the 1st time & used this recipe by nefgby:

1 - 16 oz bag for Miniature Marshmallows
1/2 - 3/4 cup Milk Chocolate Chips (semi-sweet or dark)
2 Tablespoons of Water
1 teaspoons of Lorann Oil chocolate flavor OR chocolate-hazelnut flavor OR 2 teaspoons of your choice of extract
7 - 7 1/2 cups of sifted Confectioner's Sugar
1/2 - 1 cup of sifted Cocoa Powder
Shortening to grease bowls, spatulas, mixer attachments and your hands when kneading.

I needed a dark choc color, so I used 3/4 cup choc chips & 1 cup cocoa. I had 3 cups p. sugar & 1 cup cocoa in my mixing bowl & added the marshmallow mixture as directed. I added 1 additional cup p. sugar & the mixture become very stiff. I took the MMF out & kneaded it. It was so hard that I added a little water & worked in some shortening. It was so hard to knead! I kneaded it at least 10 min then let it rest overnight. I took it out this morning, & it's still hard as a rock.
I saw that many people have tried this recipe with success. Could someone tell me what I did wrong or how I could correct this? I was very leery about adding the choc chips, but wanted to follow the directions exactly. If I can't fix this, does someone have another recipe for choc. MMF?
Thx!!

13 replies
cathie_shinnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathie_shinnick Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 2:41pm
post #2 of 14

When I make my chocMMF I use 1 bag of marshmallows 2T water when the MM come out of the microwave, I add cocoa powder about 1/2 cup then add more if needed and mix it. Then if it isn't dark enough I add brown color. I then add it to the powdered sugar and kneed together. Tastes like a Three Musketeer candy.

summerolivia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summerolivia Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 2:48pm
post #3 of 14

Ooooo...THANKS! Chocolate MMF sounds so yummy! I can't wait to try it!

kello Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kello Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 2:52pm
post #4 of 14

I had some trouble with this recipe as well. The next time I made it, I left out the choc. chips and just use extra cocoa. Turned out a lot better!

Susie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susie53 Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 3:23pm
post #5 of 14

cathie_shinnick, I'm going to have to try your Chocolate MMF recipe, it sounds really good....and easy to make.

cathie_shinnick Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 4:04pm
post #6 of 14

It really is. Both easy, and delish!!!Right after I make it, I put it in the fridge for a while for it to get a little hard. If it seems to get to dry or hard as I work with it, I put it in the microwave for a few seconds.

lecrn Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 5:35pm
post #7 of 14

Thanks. I think that I will try making it with 1/2 cup cocoa & leaving out the choc. chips. Maybe the choc. chips made it dry?
I tried adding a little Satin Ice & the choc MMF. It made the consistency a little better, but I have to use the Satin Ice with a different project.
I really sucks to try a recipe & have to throw it away. I think that I may try Rhonda's Ultimate Choc. MMF recipe.

panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 6:12pm
post #8 of 14

Wow, I don' t know but it sounds like you had a hard time with it. Listen this is the easiest and very tasty choc mmf. Start with choc marshmallows (16 oz you can find them at Target) add 2 tbs of water put in microwave for 2 minutes. Sift your 2 lbs of sugar, make well in a greased bowl add you melted stuff in the well and stir with a large spoon until it comes together. Grease your hands really good and knead for about 3-5 minutes. You'll have perfect mmf that's soft and workable but I do recommend you let it sit in saran wrap for a few hours to cool down and harden up a bit. It's a good chocolate color but if want it darker just add a little brown coloring with a drop or two of black for a deep chocolate color. You can see the brown on one of my cupcakes if you see my pictures. Hope this works. icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

lecrn Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 8:05pm
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by panchanewjersey

Wow, I don' t know but it sounds like you had a hard time with it. Listen this is the easiest and very tasty choc mmf. Start with choc marshmallows (16 oz you can find them at Target) add 2 tbs of water put in microwave for 2 minutes. Sift your 2 lbs of sugar, make well in a greased bowl add you melted stuff in the well and stir with a large spoon until it comes together. Grease your hands really good and knead for about 3-5 minutes. You'll have perfect mmf that's soft and workable but I do recommend you let it sit in saran wrap for a few hours to cool down and harden up a bit. It's a good chocolate color but if want it darker just add a little brown coloring with a drop or two of black for a deep chocolate color. You can see the brown on one of my cupcakes if you see my pictures. Hope this works. icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Thx! I may try this sometime. I actually just tried Rhonda's Choc. MMF & it seems to have a good consistency. I'll put it on the cake tomorrow & see how it is.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 9:46pm
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by lecrn

I needed a dark choc color, so I used 3/4 cup choc chips & 1 cup cocoa. I had 3 cups p. sugar & 1 cup cocoa in my mixing bowl & added the marshmallow mixture as directed. I added 1 additional cup p. sugar & the mixture become very stiff. I took the MMF out & kneaded it. It was so hard that I added a little water & worked in some shortening. It was so hard to knead! I kneaded it at least 10 min then let it rest overnight. I took it out this morning, & it's still hard as a rock.
I saw that many people have tried this recipe with success. Could someone tell me what I did wrong or how I could correct this? I was very leery about adding the choc chips, but wanted to follow the directions exactly. If I can't fix this, does someone have another recipe for choc. MMF?
Thx!!

It sounds to me like you just added too much powdered sugar when you put that additional cup in the mixture. I could be wrong, but that's what I think based on my experience with MMF. If you use too much powdered sugar..it gets hard as a rock.

I think I'm going to try this recipe though. It sounds super good and I've been wanting to try a chocolate one.

Goodluck!!

lecrn Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 11:39pm
post #11 of 14

It sounds to me like you just added too much powdered sugar when you put that additional cup in the mixture. I could be wrong, but that's what I think based on my experience with MMF. If you use too much powdered sugar..it gets hard as a rock.

I think I'm going to try this recipe though. It sounds super good and I've been wanting to try a chocolate one.

Goodluck!![/quote]

Yes, but the recipe calls for 7-7 1/2 cups p. sugar. Mine barely had a total of 5 cups (sugar & cocoa). I would suggest that if you try it, to add the sugar very slowly. If I try it again, I'll probably use the minimum amt of cocoa & choc. chips.
Thx

Frankyola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frankyola Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 2:32am
post #12 of 14

I do almost the same as cathie_shinnick but what I do is I add 1/2 cup of wilton dark chocolate candy melts and I love it and if you want darker color just add little more brown color. thumbs_up.gif

ape74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ape74 Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 2:43am
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathie_shinnick

When I make my chocMMF I use 1 bag of marshmallows 2T water when the MM come out of the microwave, I add cocoa powder about 1/2 cup then add more if needed and mix it. Then if it isn't dark enough I add brown color. I then add it to the powdered sugar and kneed together. Tastes like a Three Musketeer candy.

Your receipe sounds interesting. How many cups of powdered sugar do you use and do you not also use melted chocolate?

cathie_shinnick Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 12:37pm
post #14 of 14

When I make MMF I pour the 2# bag of PS right on my counter, sort of make a well in the middle, and then pour in the MM. I just treat it as if I were making bread. I dont kneed hard until most of the sugar is mixed in.I just fold it from all sides. I neerneed any shortning, even on my hands. Once I have the right consistancy i cover the ball with PS put in in plastic wrap and put it in the fridge. Idont always use all of the PS. I have never used the melted chocolate but I may try it next time just to see the taste difference.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%