Checkerboard Please!

Decorating By Peet Updated 4 Nov 2008 , 2:30pm by grama_j

Peet Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 11:27am
post #1 of 10

Hi all,

I would like to make a Cars cake for my 3yo son's bday. I want the side of the cake to be checkerboard. After several tries I still can't get the lines nice ans straight. icon_cry.gif Any tips?? If I don't get it right I probably make it a two tier cake instead of a sheet cake. Just a whole other design...

Thanks for the help!!

Petra

9 replies
Eisskween Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 11:54am
post #2 of 10

Did you try measuring with a ruler to make sure the spaces are even that are to be filled in? Not sure what you mean by not being able to get them even.

Enjoy your day! icon_biggrin.gif

*Edited to remove word duplication. Need more coffee! icon_rolleyes.gif

grama_j Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 12:00pm
post #3 of 10

Are you using fondant ? How are you measuring your squares ?

tcbalgord Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 12:41pm
post #4 of 10

When I did mine, I did 2x2 squares from mmf and then laid the ruler down to make sure I placed them in a straight line. HTH

Good luck

Peet Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 1:34pm
post #5 of 10

Mmm. I replied but it didn't showed up. I used fondant and a cutting mat. But I think I should have used black squares on a white background. I tried to cut all squares and put them together. Make sense..?? I will try some more, his birthday is not untill December 15th, so I still have plenty of time!

Thanks!

Petra

tcbalgord Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 1:39pm
post #6 of 10

Here is the one I did. http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1262344

I cut both black and white squares so it would be more flat. I attached them to the board using a little BC and let it sit out over night to harden. The board i used was an old entertainment center shelf, so it was rather large and square.

grama_j Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 1:44pm
post #7 of 10

I made one awhile back, and iced the cake in white, and just did the black parts in fondant......
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1008133

antonia74 Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 1:55pm
post #8 of 10

Yeah, I did the same thing. The cake was white, so i just stuck on squares of black fondant, just cut with a square cookie cutter...
LL

Peet Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 2:02pm
post #9 of 10

Gramaj, that is exactly what I was looking for. I love it. I am planning on a sheet cake with a racetrack... But how you made the side is what I had in mind... This will help me very much!

I can't believe I didn't even consider sticking the fondant straight onto the BC...

Thanks again for the help!!

Antonia 74, love that cake! Looks very nice..

you are giving me great inspiration...

Petra

grama_j Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 2:30pm
post #10 of 10

You're welcome, Peet........ ANTIOIA74...... Your cake is FABULOUS !!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%