Someone Pinch Me, I Must Be Dreaming!

Decorating By Amia Updated 11 Jan 2009 , 5:29am by dmich

Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 3:34am
post #1 of 37

So I just got a call from a family friend. She wants me to make her wedding cake in January...sure I can do that. It'll be my first, but I have time to practice and the cake is simple with fresh flowers - no biggie! She then proceeds to tell me she has a new job at a wedding venue in Seguin, TX. Exciting! Her new job: wedding coordinator. This is where it gets good! She wants me to be the cake decorator for the venue. icon_eek.gif They just opened and she thinks my cakes are wonderful and brides would love them (they're okay, but not wedding-worthy!). I tell her I'm a hobbyist and there is no way for me to be a legal homebaker and I don't have the means to build a separate kitchen and Texas sucks. She tells me that the venue has it's own huge fully equipped commercial kitchen and she's going to talk to the owner about letting me rent it to do my cakes! icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

I don't even know what to say or do or think. I'm barely breathing here! This would be a great opportunity but I don't think that I'm good enough to do wedding cakes. I'm also registering next week for Spring classes. And the stress! OMG, the stress! After reading all y'alls horror stories, I'm scared to death to make a wedding cake! icon_cry.gif I need some ice cream. icon_cry.gif

36 replies
glendaleAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glendaleAZ Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 4:36am
post #2 of 37

Congratulations. Itâs a wonderful opportunity. Maybe you could have an agreement to do only one or two cakes a week.

Meemawfish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Meemawfish Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 3:16pm
post #3 of 37

That's wonderful and I've looked at your photos and I'm sure you won't have a problem. Beautiful cakes. icon_biggrin.gif

VannaD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VannaD Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 3:53pm
post #4 of 37

congrats!!! Youll do great, youve gotten a break most of us hobby bakers dream about!

MosMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MosMom Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 4:50pm
post #5 of 37

Congrats!!!!

Amia Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 5:02pm
post #6 of 37

Thanks guys! I'm still in shock today. If the owner agrees to rent out the kitchen to me, I still have soooo much to do to get legal! I'm still not sure I want to handle bridezillas though. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

glendaleAZ, 1-2 cakes a week is exactly what I had in mind...at least to start off with. thumbs_up.gif

dellboi2u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dellboi2u Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 8:18pm
post #7 of 37

Pinch, Pinch!!! Looks like you're not dreaming!! What a great opportunity! You'll do great! Practice makes perfect!

simplysweet72740 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplysweet72740 Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 8:28pm
post #8 of 37

Its like your signature says...~I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much.~ Well girl he has given you the opportunity so take it and be grateful. Good Luck!!

By the way I am so jealous!!!

mmgiles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmgiles Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 8:30pm
post #9 of 37

I think this would be a great opportunity. Not only do you not have to transport your cakes, the venue probably only has a couple weddings each weekend anyway. You could also do the big cakes for the parties. Plus what's better than having your own kitchen, with all of your supplies, etc. right there close by, just in case there was a problem. You'd be great. If Seguin were closer I'd tell you it was too hard and you should let me take the position instead lol.

You'll do great. Good luck and congratulations. We should all have friends like this.

mommaroxy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommaroxy Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 8:50pm
post #10 of 37

Amy, remember when I said I hoped your kindness would come back to you....well there you go! That is truely a blessing!!! You have been given a wondeful opportunity! If you feel its a bit overwhelming maybe you could talk to them about a trial period, maybe you could get to the point where this is your full time!! Good Luck and God Bless!

glendaleAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glendaleAZ Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 1:11am
post #11 of 37

Amy,

Keep us posted.

Tammy

Amia Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 2:05am
post #12 of 37

I will! thumbs_up.gif

Trixyinaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trixyinaz Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 2:55am
post #13 of 37

Congratulations. What a huge OPPORTUNITY! I wish something like this would land in my lap! Totally cool for you and I wish you all the best. Keeping my fingers crossed it works out.

knel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knel Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 3:06am
post #14 of 37

Oh wow, what an opportunity to be blessed and to bless others with your gifted hands! Read that statement of yours again, and believe it.... God will not give you more than you can handle!!!!! He doesn't call you to be equipped, but He equips those He calls... even in cake business.... best wishes!

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 3:10am
post #15 of 37

Hold yourself accountable to your signature line... and remember acknowledge Him in all your ways and He will direct your paths. I just finished looking at your pictures and you do wonderful work.. Blessings

DiannaSue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DiannaSue Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 3:12am
post #16 of 37

Looked at your cake photos and believe me you have nothing to worry about you are good. You will make beautiful wedding cakes. Cong. and good luck.

Amia Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 10:33pm
post #17 of 37

Well I finally heard back! The owner has agreed to let me use the kitchen. I'm going to meet with my friend after Jan. 10th (her wedding date) to discuss details. So I guess I really do need to get licensed now! I hope it all works out. ::crossing fingers:: icon_biggrin.gif

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 11:20pm
post #18 of 37

You'll do just fine! I'm jealous...LOL! I am up on Canyon Lake. I draw the line at New Braunfels however! But I have been trying to get a cake club going up here. I don't mind driving to NB...How about you...do you live in Seguin?

dmich Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmich Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 11:34pm
post #19 of 37

Wow, Amy - you lucky dog! What an amazing opportunity. You'll do great. Have faith in yourself and just take everything one step at a time.

Amia Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 11:35pm
post #20 of 37

Nope, I live in San Antonio, near Bulverde. I'm not sure of all the specifics, but I believe this venue caters, but doesn't do cakes. I would be the main cake decorator for the venue, but of course the brides could go elsewhere. At least that's how I think this is going to work. I'm a little nervous though since I have two babies and I'm going back to school, so we're really going to have to discuss all details before I fully commit. I don't want to bite off more than I can chew and end up doing badly in school or with the cakes.

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 11:48pm
post #21 of 37

Congratulations

What a great Opportunity,

Yes I am very Jealous.

This is the opportunity I am waiting for.

I too live in a town where it is very hard to become a Homebaker.

Congrats, Again and do your best God is always there for you

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 11:59pm
post #22 of 37

You sure have a *big* decision to make since you have those 2 little ones *&* school! Most of use would super jump at the chance you are being given........but certainly we can understand if it doesn't work you at this time.
~I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much.

This quote of yours doesn't always mean everything that comes down the pike is from God &/or for you to handle.........sometimes it means we need to step back & pray & wait for God to answer yes or no.

cakesdivine Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 12:56am
post #23 of 37

Then you live really close (well as close as one can up here in the country...LOL) It is great when you can get a venue to back you up! Orders tend to book more easily. I go as far as 1604 & 281 area for my cakes where SA is concerned, All of Bulverde, Spring Branch, Canyon Lake, Fischer, Blanco and New Braunfels, I'll even go to San Marcos and if the order is large enough to Kyle/Buda. But I just have an issue with Seguin...my grandmother is buried in that Guadelupe Cemetary right there on 46. So I really don't like going through Seguin, it is way too sad for me, eventhough it has been 17 years since her death. It just is hard icon_sad.gif

bizatchgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizatchgirl Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 1:10am
post #24 of 37

cakesdivine, I sure know what you mean. I recently moved about 2 miles away from a house my friend died in. It's been 4 or 5 years but it's still bad just to see the house. I will go out of my way to avoid the area but sometimes it's impossible.

Amy, that's my dream, now give it back!! I'm in Az, in the valley. I have family further north in Az (Show Low) that we don't see to often. When I was up in July for a reunion I found out my aunt was the Event Coordinator at the local golf course. She gets to help plan all the parties, including WEDDINGS. It made me dream that if I lived up there, or she lived down here, she could get me jobs. Sigh.

I think others had the right idea saying just take a few cakes at a time. Once you're really into your school schedule, you can see if you can juggle it all. I'm sure the venue was doing something before you came along, so it's not like you'll be in a lurch if it doesn't work out and you give it up. Just don't take on more orders than you can handle, and learn it after the fact (oh wait, that's me).

Good luck!!!

bettinashoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bettinashoe Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 1:13am
post #25 of 37

Oh my goodness Amy, I am so excited for you! If anyone deserves this type of a break it is you. Your friend (in the truest sense) obviously sees what I saw in you. Your work is wonderful and you have the best attitude about your work and of the people around you. I am so very, very happy for you. You will do great!

Amia Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 1:27am
post #26 of 37

Thanks everyone! I'm really excited! Also a little hesitant, but only because school is my main focus at this point. I will be graduating from junior college this summer and transferring to a university in the fall. I'm also not in a great place financially. We'll see though. Maybe it won't cost much up front and I will just have a few orders!

This is actually a brand new venue, so yeah... I'm hoping the fact that it's new will mean less orders at first.

Anyway, I'm going to pray and see what happens.

cakesdivine Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 1:36am
post #27 of 37

Amy,

Rather than have a set rental rate for the month or hour, until cakes are consistantly coming each week, maybe give them a percentage of your profit (not your gross) until both businesses start bringing in the biz. Sort of you scratch my back I'll scratch yours thing.

I am blessed that the Church I work for during the day has a commercial kitchen - 3 large ovens, 2 freezers one is sub 0, 2 refrigerators, commercial dishwasher and 3 sink, huge island counterspace and then tons of surrounding counterspace...The pastor (my boss) told me to use the kitchen anytime I want no charge...so that's what I do until I can get my shop built.

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 4:59am
post #28 of 37

Congrats Amy! I'm so happy for you. This really is the boost you needed since you've been through so much. Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

MyDiwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MyDiwa Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 6:02am
post #29 of 37

Ok - the way this all happened, totally divine! Glad you're going for it. The adrenaline from being nervous will just give your cakes an extra edge lol!

I found a really great book that had a section that gave really good pointers about dealing with brides and taking orders etc. It's called Start a Cake decorating Business Today. I think it's by Paula Spencer.

Congrats!

Amia Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 7:14am
post #30 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyDiwa

I found a really great book that had a section that gave really good pointers about dealing with brides and taking orders etc. It's called Start a Cake decorating Business Today. I think it's by Paula Spencer.

Congrats!

Ooooh thanks for posting that book, I'll definitely need all the pointers I can get!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%