Having A Cold And A Cake Due In The Same Week (???)

Decorating By kellertur Updated 6 Nov 2008 , 2:41am by SeriousCakes

kellertur Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 2:38am
post #1 of 9

I have a HUGE castle cake due on Saturday (with both hubby and toddler feverish and with sore throats). I am now just getting a sore throat, and made the actual cake layers tonight to freeze.

My concern is: If I get this cold, how do I make this cake and not make everyone eating this cake sick? Should I wear a mask? I wash my hands CONSTANTLY anyway, but I really am not sure what to do.
How do you all handle this... they are counting on me and I don't want to let them down... (am I worrying for nothing?)

(freaking out in Maine) icon_wink.gif

8 replies
acookieobsession Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 11:53am
post #2 of 9

I suggest mask and gloves. And some theraflu! Hugs to you...I jsut want to go to bed when I am sick.

lapazlady Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 12:07pm
post #3 of 9

Oh, dear. Hopefully the headache and sore throat will pass quickly so you feel better. A mask, gloves and lots of cold remedy should get you through, and not cause to anyone else to suffer. Take it slowly and you'll be able to complete the cake. Maybe someone will give a cup of hot tea while you're working.

tarheelgirl Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 12:39pm
post #4 of 9

My 2 children had the sniffles last week and I had 6 cakes due! I never had any symptoms but drink lots of OJ and keep everything sanitized with bleach. I have started on that Airborne stuff daily. It really does boost your immune system. This is the time for loads of orders along with flu season!

Good luck!!

DuncanHinesgirl Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 10:01pm
post #5 of 9

I feel your pain! I have a multi-tiered Golden Anniversary cake scheduled for this weekend and I'm suffering with my first cold of the season. I plan on donning gloves and mask when I work, but in the mean time I've been going to bed early and taking it extremely easy. Good luck to you.

kellertur Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 2:06pm
post #6 of 9

I have child sized hands and most gloves are enormous on me... does anyone know if they come in smaller sizes? Are there other food safe alternatives for gloves in smaller sizes. I completely lose my dexterity when wearing such large gloves.

I've been drinking this herbal Eldeberry & Zinc tincture that seems to be holding off the cold for me...
My daughter and husband felt miserable last night. icon_cry.gif My 3 yr old daughter was up screaming at midnight in pain (stomach and headache) and she ended up snuggling with me in our bed and finally fell asleep. She's much better today.

thanks again, and if anyone knows a solution to the large gloves...please share. icon_smile.gif

Tinaweena197 Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 2:47pm
post #7 of 9

You should be able to find smaller gloves at a Beauty Supply store. Lots of stylists have small hands and use them for dying hair.

kellertur Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 6:00pm
post #8 of 9

thanks, I didn't realize you could find foodsafe gloves at a beauty supply shop. We have a large one right up the road.

thanks everyone. icon_smile.gif

SeriousCakes Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 2:41am
post #9 of 9

I had this happen twice last month, 2 cakes due and I was sick for both. I also wash my hands constantly and I always keep my kiddies away from my caking stuff (unless they're 'helping'). I called both people and told them I was sick and asked if they wanted to cancel or reschedule, neither of them wanted to back out but I felt better because at least they had a heads up.

Quote by @%username% on %date%