Cake 911

Decorating By mlrojas Updated 4 Nov 2008 , 3:48am by Rebelady

mlrojas Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 1:05am
post #1 of 3

Hello Fellow Cakers!

I need some urgent advice (or at least a little encouragement!).

I am making a cake for a major USMC/State Department function. The client used last year's design with a few touches of his own. The details on both agencies seals were way beyond my expertise and they were looking to save money, so I suggested edible images. Fine.

A local grocery store said they can do them and in a nutshell, their printer could not print the black lettering without the ink smearing. The clerk helping me was pretty much worthless so I left. I'm over being worried about not replicating the design to a T, but I'm a little worried about the lettering looking...cheesy! I am going to attempt to cut them out of black fondant. If that doesn't work, I may move to RI (although getting RI black is another problem for me in itself). Suggestions anyone???

Thanks!

2 replies
kakeladi Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 3:19am
post #2 of 3

Can you just pipe over the letters? You can use a mix of b'cream & royal that will set up like royal but pipe like b'cream.
As for getting black......try picking up a tube of Wilton's (I know,I know!) ready to use in a plastic tube. Cut the flat end of the tube off & scrape out the icingicon_smile.gif It is soooooo color saturated you can mix it w/royal and still be dark enough to use.

Rebelady Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 3:48am
post #3 of 3

How about doing a frozen butter cream transfer or a chocolate transfer? That way you would just be tracing the design. If you have enough time you could even do it in royal and let that harden and then transfer it to the cake. As for the black icing start with purple or blue first then add in your black. When it looks dark grey cover it and let it mature. Mine always looks grey but in a matter of about 20 - 30 minutes it is completely black. I don't use Wilton I use Americolor. Good luck and I hope this helps!!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifusaribbon.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%