Need Good/easy Recipe For Red Velvet

Baking By brea1026 Updated 5 Nov 2008 , 11:38pm by sharon57

brea1026 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brea1026 Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 10:52pm
post #1 of 8

Hi,
I am looking for an easy, yet tasty red velvet recipe that I can use for sheet cakes. I would prefer to use a cake mix extender recipe, but will go all scratch if someone has a good one.

Thanks so much!!!

7 replies
brea1026 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brea1026 Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 10:59pm
post #2 of 8

Is it helpful to use a red velvet cake mix instead of all that dye? I am looking at a lot of recipes that have 1-2 oz of dye! I need to make enought cake to feed 100 and I can't even imagine how much dye that will take! aHHHH!

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 11:03pm
post #3 of 8

The Cake Mix Doctor's recipe is good. It starts w/ a German Chocolate cake mix, and you add sour cream, pudding, and a few other things, plus a bottle of red dye. I personally think this is tastier than the Red Velvet mixes.

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 11:05pm
post #4 of 8

Duncan Hines (that I ONLY use when I'm "doctoring" it) Red Velvet. I use chocolate instant pudding, 4 eggs and 1/2 cup oil and 1 cup of water OR 1/2 cup water and 1/2 cup Italian Cream Coffee Creamer. Nice and moist.

Beth in KY

FeGe_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FeGe_Cakes Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 11:22pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by michellenj

The Cake Mix Doctor's recipe is good. It starts w/ a German Chocolate cake mix, and you add sour cream, pudding, and a few other things, plus a bottle of red dye. I personally think this is tastier than the Red Velvet mixes.

Funny you said that because I made one from scratch a few months back and me and my sister thought it tasted just like German Chocolate Cake. I thought it might have been my specific recipe and the chocolate I used.

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 10:43pm
post #6 of 8

I used the Southern Red Velvet cake recipe from this site last week and it was awesome and not hard to make at all. I used Americolor red to make it really red (making a heart cake) and it didn't affect the taste. I'm sure that the mixes have plenty of red food dye in them also.

SMcDonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SMcDonald Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 11:01pm
post #7 of 8

I made a red velvet wedding cake using a modified mix recipe mostly because the cost of the red dye was almost as much as I made the entire cake for. I realize the cost shouldn't matter, but when you are doing things for a huge discount for people at church it does. Everybody loved it.

My biggest problem though was all of the little red velvet crumbs all over the kitchen. For some reason, it was ten times worse than any other cake I have made.

sharon57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sharon57 Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 11:38pm
post #8 of 8

This is what I use..butter recipe yellow cake
1 tbls cocoa
3 eggs
1 cup buttermilk
1 tsp van.
1 tsp. baking soda
1 stick melted butter
1/3 cup food color ( I usually use less)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%