Covering A Sphere?

Decorating By 2girliesmama Updated 4 Nov 2008 , 8:54pm by 2girliesmama

2girliesmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2girliesmama Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 9:37pm
post #1 of 3

Can anyone share how to cover a sphere with fondant? icon_confused.gif For example a sportsball etc. I have trouble with the bottom looking clean and unwrinkled. I have no training as a caker so I wing it most of the time icon_redface.gif , but this always gets me. Also what is the best way to hide the seam if joining a ball while keeping it together. I never get clean result. The whole things just gives me fits. Help icon_cry.gif... please icon_cry.gif

2 replies
onceuponacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onceuponacake Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 9:48pm
post #2 of 3

ive done it twice: once with the sun cake i did and the other with the moon cake. i made sure i rolled out the fondant super big to get a nice clean bottom and no seam. with the sun cake i actually flipped it upside down on my hand and quickly smoothed and tucked a little of the excess fondant under, flipped it back right side up then smoothed as needed

there might be a better way but that's how i did it (OH and gloved hands)

2girliesmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2girliesmama Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 8:54pm
post #3 of 3

Do the gloves help with finger prints or just sticking? icon_redface.gifdetective.gif I have enough to cover usually too much. To seal the bottom do you just push it under? I always get a wrinkle or a pooling there (around the base). I am going to give the gloves a shot. Thanks for the suggestions and keep 'em comin' icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%