Edible Image Cartridges - Big Problem.

Decorating By __Martha__ Updated 7 Nov 2008 , 9:00pm by __Martha__

__Martha__ Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 8:02pm
post #1 of 12

I think I have a problem! I have only printed about 10 sheets on my new printer with the edible ink cartridges. (Epson CX8400 and Kopykake cartridges) My settings were Matte Presentation and Photo.

I went to print something yesterday and there was no red. Quick change of plans on that cake. icon_cry.gif Today I had time to look at the printer and the red cartridge is bone dry!!!! The yellow cartridge is almost dry too. The blue one is at 1/2 and the black one is fine. The snap on plastic piece that makes the hole initially fit rather loosely on the yellow and red cartridges. Would that make a difference?

Has anyone else had this problem? How many sheets do you normally get out of your cartridges?

TEN SHEETS!!!! I can't afford this!

(I've put a call into Kopykake too, but haven't heard back yet)

11 replies
tiggy2 Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 8:04pm
post #2 of 12

I thought I read somewhere that you should be able to get at least one package (28 sheets) from a set of cartridges. Did the previous pictures you printed have a lot of red and yellow in them?

jessienj Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 8:10pm
post #3 of 12

could be your settings maybe? I have read to put them on just regular settings, nothing special or it will eat up your ink.

__Martha__ Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 6:48pm
post #4 of 12

Thanks for the responses. I had the printer on the settings recommended for the frosting sheets and didn't do a lot of red or yellow. I did do three sheets of leaves (reds, yellows) on wafer paper, but there is no way that should eat up that much ink.

Does anyone know if the settings should be different for wafer paper?

They told me at Kopykake that I should get through about three packages of frosting sheets before running out of ink. But 10 pages!!!! Something is obviously wrong.

They were great though - agreed that that shouldn't have happened and sent me new cartridges. I am just afraid it will happen again unless I figure out what went wrong the first time.

jessienj Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 6:58pm
post #5 of 12

as far as I know, the settings should be kept the same.

panchanewjersey Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 7:06pm
post #6 of 12

Actually I spoke to a rep on how this happends and why. This is what she(Bakery Craft) said, unless your not using it constanly the ink will dry out and so does the printer head, which is why you should in between use remove the cartride , put in small ziploc bag upright and make sure printer head stays clean and clear if not it dries up. In your case I don"t know what happend but printer heads cost aprox $70 on older version printers. But hope you have better luck next time.

tiggy2 Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 9:20pm
post #7 of 12

I leave the cartridges in my epson and have never had them dry out or clog on me. It also sits for months at a time without being used and no problems.

JanetBme Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 9:41pm
post #8 of 12

if they are seperate color cartridges, You can fill up the cartridge with super red airbrush and yellow airbrush color. It's easy- especially if you use americolor in the small bottles. Go to micheals and you can get a pointy tip that will screw directly onto the americolor bottle. (It's in the ink section to put on ink bottles-comes with a couple of plastic and a little metal one)

Or, the needleless injector that you get for giving little kids medicine- That should work too.

Just pop out the rubber stopper on the top and put the color in.

I leave my cartridges in all the time - and have only had one problem in the last 4 years. If it sits for many months, then just run it thru the head cleaning procedure in your printer options...

tdybear1978 Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 11:01pm
post #9 of 12

I have personally found that I had many many problems with the kopykake ink cartridges. I switched over to using photofrost and I have not had one problem since I started using them. With the kopykake I was either not getting many photos out of it and I was CONSTANTLY fighting with clogging. I started using photofrost about 6 months ago and have not had 1 problem and they have a great support staff. I highly recommend them

__Martha__ Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 8:43pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdybear1978

I have personally found that I had many many problems with the kopykake ink cartridges. I switched over to using photofrost and I have not had one problem since I started using them. With the kopykake I was either not getting many photos out of it and I was CONSTANTLY fighting with clogging. I started using photofrost about 6 months ago and have not had 1 problem and they have a great support staff. I highly recommend them

I wish I'd bought the Canon - more options available. Kopykake is the only one that sells the Epson though I think.

Kopykake is great to deal with and have sent more cartridges as they agreed it shouldn't have happened, but I am afraid it will just happen again.

I don't take the cartridges out but I do cover the printer when not in use, to help keep them from drying out. If it had been left for months, I could see the print heads drying out, but I've only had it a little over a month. I am hoping it was just a fluke.

I will look into refilling the cartridges myself too - that's a great idea.

Thanks for all your input, everybody! I'll keep my fingers crossed that this works, because all in all, I love my image printer!

fiddlesticks Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 8:53pm
post #11 of 12

I have that same printer and I have not had one problem with it. I love it!
I have never had my ink dry up, I went through a whole pk of sheets and into the 2nd pk before I had to even change any ink.
I leave them( ink ) in the printer when I dont use it and I have gone as long as 4 weeks ? without using it and it worked fine I have had the printer for about a yr now. Im sorry you have problems with yours.

__Martha__ Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 9:00pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlesticks

I have that same printer and I have not had one problem with it. I love it!
I have never had my ink dry up, I went through a whole pk of sheets and into the 2nd pk before I had to even change any ink.
I leave them( ink ) in the printer when I dont use it and I have gone as long as 4 weeks ? without using it and it worked fine I have had the printer for about a yr now. Im sorry you have problems with yours.

I hope I have better luck this time. I think the cartridges were a bad batch or something. The plastic thing on the front did not click on tightly, leaving a bit of a gap. Then they never really did 'snap' down into the printer properly (because of the gap). I haven't loaded the new cartridges in yet. I thought I'd wait until I had an image to do.

Thanks again for your help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%