Wedding Date

Business By sari66 Updated 11 Nov 2008 , 3:49am by Santa_Kitchen

sari66 Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 7:08pm
post #1 of 14

How do you book a customer who isn't getting married for 4years?! Yup I had someone who wants to book a cake for July of 2013!! I mean who does this? Anything could happen between now and then, heck I may not be doing this then, I will but really icon_confused.gif

Happy caking icon_smile.gif

13 replies
-Tubbs Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 10:03pm
post #2 of 14

I'd tell them to contact you a little nearer the time. I mean, who plans their wedding for 4 YEARS??!!! You're right, anything could happen. The most likely is that they won't be getting married at all. I imagine that the bride has badgered her boyfriend (or, to be fair, could be the other way around) into naming a date, which he has made as far in advance as possible. Can you even get a calendar that far in advance?! icon_lol.gif

indydebi Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 10:41pm
post #3 of 14

I had an inquiry for .... check this date ... 11/11/11. I didn't even respond to it. There is no way to intelligently discuss pricing on cakes or catering 3 years in advance. It's a waste of time for everyone.

I might be dead by then, and hubby would have to figure out how to refund a deposit. icon_confused.gif

Mike1394 Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 10:56pm
post #4 of 14

Oh My I would go batty if the woman I was going to marry had to have things that well planned.

Mike

sari66 Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 11:11pm
post #5 of 14

I sent her an email telling her I can do it but to contact me again in a year or so. She hasn't responded back but I don't really need her to.

inydebi, I was thinking the same thing! How do I know i'll be alive then? or her for that matter!

Mike you are funny icon_smile.gif

ccr03 Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 3:25pm
post #6 of 14

I would have told her to contact me one year before the date - nothing sooner.

TexasSugar Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 4:44pm
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by TubbsCookies

I'd tell them to contact you a little nearer the time. I mean, who plans their wedding for 4 YEARS??!!! You're right, anything could happen. The most likely is that they won't be getting married at all. I imagine that the bride has badgered her boyfriend (or, to be fair, could be the other way around) into naming a date, which he has made as far in advance as possible. Can you even get a calendar that far in advance?! icon_lol.gif

My brother and SIL had set their wedding date that early and had even asked me to do the cake that early. The only thing that changed was the design of the cake.

She was in college and worked in another town and planned her wedding on holidays and weekends. Their date was sit for the month after she graduated so she couldn't just wait until the last few months to plan things since she had very limited time in town and out of school.

KoryAK Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 6:04pm
post #8 of 14

Have her give you a non-refundable deposit and ask her to contact you one year out to set more details. You're right, they probably won't even still be together - but that's her problem not yours icon_smile.gif

sari66 Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 3:45am
post #9 of 14

Ok so I have another customer who is getting married in 2012 wanting to reserve a date! What the heck? do ppl really get engaged and wait this long to get married?
I'm going to tell her like the other bride to get back to me in 2011! shesh

cylstrial Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 6:27pm
post #10 of 14

Wow! As someone mentioned earlier, the chances of these people actually getting married are not that good. Are they afraid that you will be booked? So they've to book their date now? People are too funny!!

cakerygirl Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 2:27am
post #11 of 14

I have known a few peopl who waited this long to get married mainly because they were paying for the wedding themselves and didn't want to be in debt when they got married. Most of them are already living together and the wedding is more of a formality.

jammjenks Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 3:15am
post #12 of 14

Indy - maybe your customer was just trying to avoid being turned down because of you being booked up on that date. Remember the 7/7/07 date? Lots of bakeries were booked up and had to turn people away because of so many wanting that same date. Maybe she could make a deposit and you could pencil her name in so that she wouldn't get turned down later on for not being the first (or one of the firsts) to ask. I'd certainly tell her that pricing couldn't be discussed this far in advance. Just a thought.

indydebi Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 3:45am
post #13 of 14

jammjenks, that is a good idea ... except my leads come in from various bridal sites and I have to pay anywhere from $1 to $5 each .... I didn't feel like paying $5.00 three years in advance to tell her "call me in three years".

If I get no-cost (blind) leads come in for future dates, I may just try your idea. thumbs_up.gif

Santa_Kitchen Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 3:49am
post #14 of 14

I don't book over 6 months ahead, why? Experience has teach me that brides get confused with so many tendencies and styles that they go back and foward over designs and prices, even after the contract had been signed, and then you have to start doing amendments to it and adjusting prices. also with the cost of living rising month to month you can't compromise a price per serving 3 years ahead.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%