Can I Make A Solid Mold Out Of Pastillage?

Decorating By hpotter83 Updated 22 May 2012 , 6:07pm by njc2410

hpotter83 Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 6:44pm
post #1 of 4

I want to make molds using my daughters little trinkets so that I can put them on her first birthday cake...I also don't want to spend any money, lol. Can I use pastillage to do this? I know it gets super hard. Ir should I use cold porcelain, or would that put chemicals (the glue) on the fondant/gum paste?

Any tips on how to make a home made mold (that is ok for food) would be great!

3 replies
bisbqueenb Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 7:11pm
post #2 of 4

Fondant will work if given lots of time to dry out! Adding tylose to the fondant will allow it to dry faster. I have made some out of pure fondant when I don't have a deadline to work with and can allow them to really dry out before using. When I use them, I dust with a bit of corn starch, press in the fresh fondant...pop out the finished item to either dry or apply directly on to a cake.

jobueno Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 3:01pm
post #3 of 4

Hi bisbqueenb:

Yes you can make molds out of pastiallge. The only problem is once you're done with your mold you must keep it out of humidity if you want it to keep for future use. I made the topper of my under the sea cake with pastiallage in a pastiallge made mold from a real shell. Take a look and see. icon_biggrin.gif

njc2410 Posted 22 May 2012 , 6:07pm
post #4 of 4

Hi I saw the cake, It's beautiful! Did you put shortening on the shell to keep it from sticking on the pastillage? If not how do you keep it from sticking? I wanted to make some doll molds (using an actual doll) and can't figure out how to keep the parts from sticking to the pastiallge.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%