Making A Larger Sheet Cake?

Decorating By rosa727 Updated 3 Nov 2008 , 6:51pm by tonia3604

rosa727 Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 6:00pm
post #1 of 7

I am a total cake decorating novice, but I am planning on making my son's 2nd birthday cake. It is going to be a construction zone, so I can just have fun with it. But I need to feed about 40 people, and a 13 by 9 pan is not going to be big enough for what I want to do. So should I try to buy a large sheet cake pan? If so, what size, and will it fit in my oven? Or should I bake 2 smaller rectangles and put them side by side and frost over them to create one big cake. What's the best idea? I just know that 13 by 9 is the biggest standard size pan. I guess larger pans require you to double the recipe? Any help would be appreciated. I realize this may sound like a dumb question!

6 replies
banba Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 6:17pm
post #2 of 7

Hi rosa

I can only help with some of your questions. Measure your oven and then look up pan sizes on the net to see how big you can go.

I have read on here that you can use cake mix extender recipes or use multiple cake mixes.

You could do what you are already thinking yourself like putting 2 cakes together but I would make sure to use a cake drum and not just cardboard for this type of cake. So if you are moving the cake the join you ice over won't become visible. You can also just glue multiple cardboards together either.

Rosa there are no dumb questions ever icon_smile.gif Best of luck and don't forget the photos!

mommyle Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 6:33pm
post #3 of 7

Welcome to the wonderful world of decorating!!!
If you are planning on doing more than one cake that is this big in your life, you might think of investing in the Wilton Sheet Cake pan. it is an 18" x 12" pan, and uses 14 cups of batter. I also highly recommend the largest cooling grid to turn it out onto. Grab your Michael's coupons and get them. They are awesome. Make sure that you use the bake even strips too. And turn your oven down to 325. VERY important.
Now that I'm done my sales pitch...
If you choose to go this route, the WASC (White Almond Sour Cream) recipe here is excellent. It uses 2 boxes of cake mix and extends them. VERY tasty. Several variations of it are posted here, too. The FULL recipe that uses 2 boxes will fill the above mentioned pan.
Cutting this cake into 2" x 2" pieces will give you 54 servings.
I hope all of this helps.
Best of luck!

gr8cakemaker Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 6:34pm
post #4 of 7

I had to make a large sheet cake as well, and all I had was a 9x13 pan. So I baked two of them (four for a 2 layer sheet cake) and put them side by side. It helps if you cut about an inch off one side of both cakes, so when you "glue" them together they are pretty flush. I hope that makes sense.

Then ice them like any other cake. banba's right, make sure you have some sturdy cardboard under the cake, otherwise you will see the seam where they connected. HTH

kakeladi Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 6:39pm
post #5 of 7

I thinkyou should use the pan you haveicon_smile.gif Just bake two of them. That might be a bit more cake than youwant but you can always send the extra home w/party guests OR wrapped well in plastic wrap it will keep in the fzr for months until you eat it upicon_smile.gif

My *original* WASC recipe is the perfect amount of batter for your 9x13 pan.

melvin01 Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 6:40pm
post #6 of 7

You can just use the 9x13 pan and put them together. I did 2 sheet cakes the other week (2 layers on each) and used a triple ply board below which held up well for the weight and used my half sheet cake pan to bake the layers. Only problem is having room in my fridge to fit the board. (also make sure to use flower nails or something to help distribute the heat to the center so the outsides aren't burt and the center isn't unbaked.)

So I would stick with the pan you have, as opposed to buying a new one, but I'd figure out what size you want the cake and what size board you can fit in your fridge and work from there since that is the most important thing...being able to refrigerate your cake.

A full sheet cake feeds over 100 so I wouldn't get one that big for 40 people. I know you will cut it up and sculpt it for a construction cake, but you have to figure out what to do if you have enough cake left over to feed an army.

Plus it gives you the option to easily make half white and half chocolate if you want to.

tonia3604 Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 6:51pm
post #7 of 7

An 11 X 15 rectangle pan (I consider this a 1/2 sheet cake) is the next size up from the 9 X 13. It takes two cake mixes and yields @ 30 servings (according to the chart I use). You could make it two layers for double the servings if necessary. Unless your oven is really small you should be able to fit an 11 X 15, but you could measure to be sure. I would personally prefer the larger pan over putting two side by side and worrying about the joint line showing. If you use cardboard definately use more than one to support the larger cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%