Stupid Stupid Mistake!!

Baking By sugarycreations Updated 8 Nov 2008 , 1:49am by sugarycreations

sugarycreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarycreations Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 5:59pm
post #1 of 19

Ok here's the drill. I baked 3 different rolled cookie recipes last night. I've always iced them using buttercream. Being the wild adventurous type, I decided to ice them playing with Tobia's Glaze and Antonia's RI. Sounds good right?

Off to a horrible start. Decided to start with the RI. Big mistake!! Does anybody have any idea what a horrible mess you create when you accidentally grab, measure & use gum paste powder? You DON'T WANT TO KNOW!!!

It didn't look right to me on any step of the procedure. I spent a LOT of time checking on this site to see if anybody else had had problems with the icing. Nothing but the highest praise. Ok. Maybe it will look different once it's thinned properly. Oh no. It's still a mess. Check the boards again. Everybody loves it. So easy to fix, etc. Decide to start again. Oops that isn't what that container is supposed to say. Hmmmm I think I know why it doesn't look right. lol

The best part is that now I can't do anything until I go to the store. I don't have 5 tablespoons of Meringue powder in the can. I used the last of my hand dish detergent to clean my equipment squeaky clean because we all know what grease does to RI.

Now that you've, hopefully, picked yourself up off the floor where you fell laughing so hard, this icing better taste better than regular RI or I'm REALLY going to be mad.

18 replies
millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 6:03pm
post #2 of 19

Only laughing with you, not at you because we've all been there! icon_lol.gif

momma28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momma28 Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 6:08pm
post #3 of 19

icon_redface.gif oh my hun. been there done that. Not with ri but I have grabbed the wrong ingredient more times than I would like to admit.

lovelytee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovelytee Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 6:13pm
post #4 of 19

icon_rolleyes.gif laughing with you. I once used ground pepper instead of cinnamon.

momma28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momma28 Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 6:18pm
post #5 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelytee

icon_rolleyes.gif laughing with you. I once used ground pepper instead of cinnamon.

That must have been yummy LOL I grabbed chili pwdr in place of cinnamon once YUCK

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 6:19pm
post #6 of 19

I'm not laughing at you either!!!

It is just the typical CURSED Monday tapedshut.gif

It will get better. Glad that you decided to give it another try though. icon_smile.gif

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 6:29pm
post #7 of 19

How about using cough syrup instead of vanilla in fudge? My aunt did that. Or the daughter of my dentist who has trouble reading, and added 1 cup of salt to the brownies instead of 1 tsp. Mistakes happen to eveybody!

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 6:29pm
post #8 of 19

I used cloves in my enchilada filling once instead of cumin, not so good topped with cheese.

Frankyola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frankyola Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 6:46pm
post #9 of 19

You are not the only one dear icon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

sarahokie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahokie Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 6:50pm
post #10 of 19

My mom once put liquid smoke in banana bread instead of vanilla. Not so good...

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 7:04pm
post #11 of 19

Oh, I feel for you!! If it is any consolation, my best friend flew out to visit and I made her favorite breakfast - baked Dutch Apple Pancakes. Not so spiffy when you generously dust them with corn starch instead of powdered sugar! (Now you can pick yourself up off the floor from laughing! icon_lol.gif )

SILVERCAT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SILVERCAT Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 3:30am
post #12 of 19

OMG, I feel for you! Thanks for the laugh from everyone! I am sure that one day it will happen to me!

Honeydukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeydukes Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 8:02pm
post #13 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by momma28

That must have been yummy LOL I grabbed chili pwdr in place of cinnamon once YUCK

I did exactly the opposite. icon_cry.gif

sugarycreations Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 8:48pm
post #14 of 19

Oh you wonderful people! You made me feel better about it. thumbs_up.gif

I'll let you know what I think tomorrow. So far much better. It's amazing how much better the recipe works with meringue powder. lol Been trying to figure out the difference. Not that much difference between the Wilton recipe. But at this point, I can certainly say that off the mixer beaters I like the taste better. Of course the true test will be once it dries on the cookies.

Not sure I'll be able to try Toba's glaze until I make more cookies. Will have to see. But the RI makes a huge batch & I've got a lot of it left. It looks like there might be enough to cover all 3 batches. Oh dear, an excuse to bake more cookies. Truly a tragic thing. icon_biggrin.gif

jessfmaldonado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessfmaldonado Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 10:01pm
post #15 of 19

Ohhhh, my daughter slept over my MIL's house a few months ago. My MIL was making french toast and my daughter said she that it tasted funny. My MIL made her eat it thinking it was because she didn't want to eat. Well she ate it and was so sick afterwards. My FIL tried the french toast, he gagged then spit it out. Turns out she used about a tablespoon and a half of CUMIN, instead of CINNAMON! Ughh, My poor baby!!! icon_cry.gif So you are not alone. At least you didnt make anyone eat it! lol.

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 12:33am
post #16 of 19

My 12-yo daughter decided to make her first scratch cake without me. She didn't read the directions properly and put in 1 CUP of baking soda (instead of 1t). The mess on the bottom of the oven was quite a thing to see! Unfortunately she lost her confidence and will only make box mix cakes now.

Glad you're doing better now -isn't it amazing how much better things go when you follow the recipe?!!!

swoozie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
swoozie Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 12:36am
post #17 of 19

So glad I am in the company of like people!icon_smile.gif
Today my dd's life managment class ( aka home ec) they made sweet potato frys and one of the girls added the salt. was supposed to be 1/2 teaspoon and she added 1/2 cup! icon_eek.gif they tasted loke home made play do she said... ewwww.
I made bread the other day and forgot the milk... I wondered why I could add enough of the flour let alone knead any in... tough bread! Elly Mae baking ! Boing!
Swoozie

sugarycreations Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 4:15am
post #18 of 19

Update:
Antonia's RI mixes up very nicely when you use meringue powder. lol It makes a TON of icing. I was not able to ice all 3 batches of cookies with it, but I was able to ice a little more than 2 batches. Very impressive. It does not dry hard enough to break a tooth like regular RI although it does harden enough to stack. Definite point in its favor. BUT it's still RI which means it does really nice designs, but it doesn't taste very good. Doesn't taste bad; just doesn't taste good. It's sweet & that's it. I'm sure somebody in this group has tried adding extracts to it. How did that work? Does it improve the taste? Mess up it's decorating abilities? I don't care for RI & will never use it for my own use. However, the idea of a cakeshop is to make & sell what OTHER people like. Lots of other people DO like RI.

Toba's Glaze was what I made for the remainder of the cookies. The flavor of cookies I had left was gingerbread so I decided to go with lemon flavoring. It's an unusual icing & I will definitely use it again. It's hard to beat buttercream for taste--especially beings I believe in real butter, but this tastes good. It does not make as big a batch, but it would be easy enough to make a larger batch if needed. I loved it. You don't have the control with it that you have with either the buttercream or the royal. However, spending some time working with it would allow you to learn how to get it to do what you want.

But what I really like about it was what some people have objected to about it. I love the almost transparent look it has. I see that as being a wonderful quality for certain projects. A bell, window, shoe would have an impression of glass. Clothing would have the transparency of chiffon.

sugarycreations Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 1:49am
post #19 of 19

Update:
Antonia's RI mixes up very nicely when you use meringue powder. lol It makes a TON of icing. I was not able to ice all 3 batches of cookies with it, but I was able to ice a little more than 2 batches. Very impressive. It does not dry hard enough to break a tooth like regular RI although it does harden enough to stack. Definite point in its favor. BUT it's still RI which means it does really nice designs, but it doesn't taste very good. Doesn't taste bad; just doesn't taste good. It's sweet & that's it. I'm sure somebody in this group has tried adding extracts to it. How did that work? Does it improve the taste? Mess up it's decorating abilities? I don't care for RI & will never use it for my own use. However, the idea of a cakeshop is to make & sell what OTHER people like. Lots of other people DO like RI.

Toba's Glaze was what I made for the remainder of the cookies. The flavor of cookies I had left was gingerbread so I decided to go with lemon flavoring. It's an unusual icing & I will definitely use it again. It's hard to beat buttercream for taste--especially beings I believe in real butter, but this tastes good. It does not make as big a batch, but it would be easy enough to make a larger batch if needed. I loved it. You don't have the control with it that you have with either the buttercream or the royal. However, spending some time working with it would allow you to learn how to get it to do what you want.

But what I really like about it was what some people have objected to about it. I love the almost transparent look it has. I see that as being a wonderful quality for certain projects. A bell, window, shoe would have an impression of glass. Clothing would have the transparency of chiffon.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%