Stupid Scammers

Decorating By summernoelle Updated 4 Nov 2008 , 2:44pm by indydebi

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 4:27pm
post #1 of 20

Well, they are getting marginally smarter, but not much! Today I got the Happy Marriage Life one again, but they were finally figured out to say Happy Married Life instead. They also attached a photo of the cake they wanted.

I hate these stupid scammers! thumbsdown.gif

19 replies
Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 8:28pm
post #2 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by summernoelle

Well, they are getting marginally smarter, but not much! Today I got the Happy Marriage Life one again, but they were finally figured out to say Happy Married Life instead. They also attached a photo of the cake they wanted.

I hate these stupid scammers! thumbsdown.gif

It's not the marriage/ married thing that tipped me off. It was the HAPPY part LOLOLOL icon_biggrin.gif

Mike

disneynutbsv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
disneynutbsv Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 8:42pm
post #3 of 20

I got one last week.....crazy people

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 10:43pm
post #4 of 20

I got one today too. They wanted a 4 tier cake to serve 50. What dumba$$es.

summernoelle Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 11:01pm
post #5 of 20

Just out of curiosity, I wrote them back from the hotmail account I never use. They actually lowered the price I gave them-what does it matter? They aren't going to actually pay me anyway! This is what they said:

Hello ,
How are you this morning i got the email you write to me and i 'm so glad you gonna made this cake for me i'm so much okay with the kind a cake you wanna made for me..i have reduce the number of people to 100 which should be $1000
I will like you to know that the price is not a problem which's the $1000 for 100 guest.
More so you don't have to worry about the shipping cos have already registered with a shipping company that will come and pick the cake up with a cooling van after you have done with them.

Cake cost $1000
Shipping cost $800
Total cost $1800

NOTE: THE SHIPPING COST WILL BE FOR MY SHIPPER WHICH YOU WILL HELP ME TO SEND TO HIM VIA WESTERN

UNION.THIS BECAUSE I'M STILL IN OFFSHORE NOW.

Let me know if this suit you if yes you can get back with me with this following information so i can remit my card to you.
YOUR FULL NAME
ADDRESS
PHONE NUMBER.

I await you quick reply......

I'm thinking, NICE English.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 12:19am
post #6 of 20

I got the same email with the attachment today. I've received it a few times before this, but they've never sent an attachment before. Makes me think they're stepping up their game to add a virus or spyware to the email as well.

poshcakedesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poshcakedesigns Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 12:27am
post #7 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Indy was your email from someone with the last name of Smith?

I got one today from a lady asking for the same thing she wanted a 4 tier cake for 50 and a grooms cake for 50. Just wondering if it's the same person? She also said she lives in GA?

momvarden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momvarden Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 12:33am
post #8 of 20

they did that to me with a john smith though craigslist, i followed it through (even though i knew it was a scam) because i wanted to turn the check into the police or what ever department deals with these jerks.
THE CHECK NEVER CAME....LOL!

indydebi Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 12:35am
post #9 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by poshcakedesigns

Quote:

I got one today from a lady asking for the same thing she wanted a 4 tier cake for 50 and a grooms cake for 50. Just wondering if it's the same person? She also said she lives in GA?

No .... Mark Most. Wedding is Dec 20th. Man, how did I get gypped from getting the groom's cake, too!? Heck, he's probably getting that from walmart!

I did reply back to him that you cannot make a 4 tier cake that only serves 50 ... and that the entire baking community is well aware that "Happy Married Life" wedding cakes are scam-emails! icon_twisted.gif

poshcakedesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poshcakedesigns Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 12:45am
post #10 of 20
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by poshcakedesigns

Quote:

No .... Mark Most. Wedding is Dec 20th. Man, how did I get gypped from getting the groom's cake, too!? Heck, he's probably getting that from walmart!

I did reply back to him that you cannot make a 4 tier cake that only serves 50 ... and that the entire baking community is well aware that "Happy Married Life" wedding cakes are scam-emails! icon_twisted.gif

Mine didn't say anything about happy married life but then they contacted me through my quote page. I too responded that you can't get a 4 tier cake for 50 people. They wrote back and asked about dummy cakes for some of the tiers. She said they are stationed in GA but for some reason they gave me an Al address for delivery. HUM guess I'm about to look up the delivery address and see where it's at or even if it exist. STUPID SCAMMERS....

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 2:19am
post #11 of 20

Ya'll need to get the link to your states internet fraud department.

Then reply stating you can not do the order but you have a good friend that you have copied on the e-mail that is more than interested in what they have to say and cc that address.

icon_lol.gif

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 2:34am
post #12 of 20

I got one today and this is it:

Good day,

I would like to place an order for my up coming wedding, well I will like you to bake me a strawberry cake of 4 tier that can serve approximately 250 guest, and I want the cake to be decorated with pink roses and the cake should be covered in fondant, handmade floral and packed a box and let the inscription be writing on one as (HAPPY MARRIED LIFE). And I want you to have the cake ready for pick-up on 20th of December. Let me know if you can fulfill the date??

I await your reply soon.

Thanks and God bless.
Jerry.

I had a feeling it was a fraud. I emailed him back and said we should set up a tasting appointment and I required full payment at the time of the tasting.

What the heck do they want?!

summernoelle Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 2:44am
post #13 of 20

ladyonzlake-that was almost identical to the first one I got this morning, only for 200 servings, and from Paul Cole.

Horrorxgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Horrorxgirl Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 3:35am
post #14 of 20

omg.

Ok so I got this same exact email a couple days ago with the Happy Married Life and it just seemed soooo scammy to me. My husband and I were analyzing it trying to figure out what the scam was exactly. I emailed the guy back and said that I couldn't do the cake for less than $1000. He emailed me back and said that was fine and spouted all the weird crap about the refrigerated truck. I emailed him back asking him tons of questions saying that I needed him to fill out a contract and provide a phone number to go over details and asking why he would need a cake delivered that far instead of using a local bakery, but I didn't get an email back, and I didn't really expect one.

So what is the scam here? I'm missing it somehow. He offered to pay with a credit card. It reminded me of those scams where they offer to send you a check that you cash and then send them a small portion of it back and keep the rest...until your bank figures out that it's a fake check. How would this concept work with a credit card?

My email was from a guy called Mike Fernando.

indydebi Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 4:49am
post #15 of 20
Quote:

ladyonzlake-that was almost identical to the first one I got this morning, only for 200 servings, and from Paul Cole.

Word for word except the number of servings for me too.

Gosh, I'm feeling slighted here! Mine only wanted 50 servings and no groom's cake! My cake must not taste as good as everyone else's since he wants way less cake from me! icon_cry.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

momvarden Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 4:54am
post #16 of 20

the scam is they wire you to much money and ask you to pay the delivery truck drivers the extra. or they ask if you can cash a check and wire the rest of the funds to some for the cost of the delivery.

so they give a counterfiet check or cashiers check....ect.... that banks even have a hard time telling that they are fakes.....once they do pick up on it. It is to late for you and your bank account. you have lost what money you thought you were getting and the money you sent out to them. which is what they wanted that extra 800 1000 or maybe even more. and you get put in the hole with your bank account.

confectioneista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectioneista Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 5:26am
post #17 of 20

Money laundering!

momvarden Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 7:26am
post #18 of 20

in a round about way...............but there is not any money coming from a dirty job......just fake money. I think its stealing..........instead of hiding it.

summernoelle Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 2:34pm
post #19 of 20

Yeah, he told me he wanted to pay me $1000 for the cake, and then $800 for the delivery, which I would wire to the delivery company. So, by the time I realized it, my money would be long gone.

indydebi Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 2:44pm
post #20 of 20
Quote:

Yeah, he told me he wanted to pay me $1000 for the cake, and then $800 for the delivery, which I would wire to the delivery company. So, by the time I realized it, my money would be long gone.

Why do they think that we can't figure out, "Look dude ... if YOU can wire it to ME so that *I* can wire the money to the delivery company .... then YOU can just wire the money to the delivery company direct!" icon_confused.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%