Egg-Free Cakes

Baking By bumblebee Updated 9 Mar 2007 , 3:10pm by Mae1118

bumblebee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bumblebee Posted 13 Jan 2007 , 6:05am
post #1 of 13

I have some relatives that are allergic to egg. I was wondering if anyone had a reliable method of egg replacement that could be used in cake recipes. (I'm aware that cake recipes with a lot of eggs in them can't be used)

12 replies
kaychristensen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaychristensen Posted 13 Jan 2007 , 6:12am
post #2 of 13

I made the one from the site that you use a cake mix. And add diet soda in place of the eggs, oil, and water. They taste pretty good. I made a milk choc. with diet Pepsi and White cake with diet sprite. The chocolate one taste like a cake brownie. I don't know if this will work for you or not. But they worked great for me.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 16 Jan 2007 , 6:10am
post #3 of 13

I have an old 1917 cookbook which recommends adding 1 teaspoon of baking powder for each egg you want to replace.

Kelrak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kelrak Posted 16 Jan 2007 , 6:27am
post #4 of 13

My son used to have an egg allergy. I got a terrific book from Amazon called Bakin' Without Eggs by Rosemarie Emro. It had lots of great cake and cookie recipes. I also made the diet soda cakes and the carrot cake version was very good. Cakes without eggs can be crumbly. I hope this helps!
Kelly

mom23girlstoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom23girlstoo Posted 20 Jan 2007 , 9:12pm
post #5 of 13

Does anyone have the recipe for the soda cake? Just curious how much to add instead of the egg? icon_confused.gif

Please remember you can not use Meringue powder or color flow mix as they both are made from eggs. icon_biggrin.gif

Thank you!

Kelrak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kelrak Posted 20 Jan 2007 , 11:00pm
post #6 of 13

The recipe was from the weight watchers website forum area, and it said one can of diet soda and one cake mix. I used about 10 ounces with one cake mix, especially when I made the carrot cake and added all of the other stuff which makes it more moist. You can start with 10 oz, then eyeball it and add more diet soda if the mix looks too thick.

mom23girlstoo Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 4:11am
post #7 of 13

Does the diet soda replace the egg & oil? Or do I still need to add the oil? What about if the mix calls for butter? icon_confused.gif

mom23girlstoo Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 4:30am
post #8 of 13

I found the Weight Watchers forum... most of the recipes I find on there include egg whites.... tapedshut.gif

Has anyone baked a cake with just the mix & diet soda? How was it? Do you think cupcakes would stay together or just fall apart? icon_confused.gif

Can you tell I'm desperate? icon_cry.gif (Bumblebee... did you try this yet? Have you found anything else out?)

kaychristensen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaychristensen Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 4:56am
post #9 of 13

I made mine as cupcakes at Christmas. They were firm and didn't fall apart. It is just the box of mix and 12 oz of diet soda. That is all that is in it. There are other suggestion on variations of the cake in the recipe here on CC. Good Luck

daltonam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daltonam Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 5:33am
post #10 of 13

little boy in my DD class can't have eggs or nuts & i've done a applesauce cake (cupcakes) but it reminded me of muffins...kids liked them

beccakelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beccakelly Posted 5 Feb 2007 , 10:43pm
post #11 of 13

i know this may be a little late, but i just saw your post! my husband and i are vegan (no dairy, eggs, meat, or animal products). i make a lot of great cakes with egg substitutes. you can use 1/4 cup SILKEN tofu for each egg in the recipe. just blend it smooth in a blender or food processor. you can also buy energ egg replacer (instructions on the box on how to use it). vinegar and baking soda work well too. here is a recipe that i use a lot for a white cake.
1 1/2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup water
1/3 cup oil
1 Tbsp mild vinegar
1 Tbsp clear vanilla
1/4 tsp almond extract

vegan cakes tend to hold up better when made from scratch instead of a box. any that i tried with a box mix were REALLY crumbly. the scratch recipes however turn out fairly dense, and hold up really well!
hope this helps-

Mae1118 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mae1118 Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 1:35pm
post #12 of 13

This is another late one, but I hope it might still help! I also just saw your post. My daughter has had multiple food allergies as an infant. After a lot of searching for a recipe that actually tasted like "real cake" for her 1st birthday, these are my favorites:

No-egg Wonder Cake (chocolate) - http://southernfood.about.com/od/chocolatecakes/r/bl40212r.htm
The only thing I do different is that instead of sifting the dry ingred., and then adding the other ingred. to them, I cream together the shortening and sugar, then add the other wet ingred. After that I gradually add the dry ingred. that have been sifted together.

No-egg lemon cake (this is one that I adapted myself from the recipe above).

2 cup cake flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
zest of 1 lemon
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1 cup cold water

I mix this together same as above - sift the 1st 3 ingred. toghether. Mix together the other things until well blended, then gradually add dry ingred.

I get about 3 cups of batter from either recipe. Another thing that I have noticed is that if you have one of those egg-free recipes that turns out all dense and gummy, and it doesn't already have vinegar in it, you can try adding a little vinegar and sometimes this helps. Sometimes I also put in a little extra baking powder or baking soda. (I plan to try this today with a DH mix. I will let you know how it goes) The action of the vinegar and baking pwdr/soda together help it to rise and reduce that yucky denseness. Same principle for the lemon cake, I just used the lemon juice (also acidic) instead of vinegar. I made this for my daughter's birthday, and my family could not believe it was egg (and dairy) free! I hope this helps you!

Also, beccakelly, I can't wait to try your white cake recipe, too!

Mae1118 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mae1118 Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 3:10pm
post #13 of 13

I was able to make a Duncan Hines yellow cake mix work without eggs last night! I posted what I did here:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-139681.html

Someone else also posted a chocolate cake recipe here that looks interesting.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%