Fmm 5 Petal Rose Cutter

Decorating By saramachen Updated 5 Nov 2008 , 1:19am by saramachen

saramachen Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 4:23pm
post #1 of 8

Hi,

I am planning a wedding cake and i am going to be making some fondant roses for it. I want to make big roses (maybe a 3" diameter) some medium (1.5-2" diameter) and then smaller ones (1-1.5" diameter)

Will the 90mm FMM 5 petal cutter make roses as large as 3"

TIA,

Sara

7 replies
JoAnnB Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 8:26pm
post #2 of 8

In my experience, it will provide about 2- 2 1/2 inches. for 3" you would probably need to use a larger cutter with individual petals. But try it, you might be satisfied with it.

saramachen Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 11:41pm
post #3 of 8

Thanks JoAnnB. I've only ever made roses using a 5 petal cutter but i am planning on taking some gumpaste classes before this cake is due so hopefully i will learn how to do them properly with individual petals.

weirkd Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 12:03am
post #4 of 8

I like to use the separate cutters instead because you really have to work quickly with the 5 petal cutters otherwise they can rip right off your gumpaste if your not careful.
I buy the celcakes celbuds for my centers and start there. If you want step by step instructions, PM me.

kakeladi Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 3:40am
post #5 of 8

If you add extra layers of petals you can enlarge that rose to 3" icon_smile.gif
As I remember I made flowers from that 90mm then added some individiual petals to enlarge it. I don't like using wires...I just added them to the whole rose using gp glue.

weirkd Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 3:11pm
post #6 of 8

A rose that heavy wont stay up very well with glue. You need the wire for the support. Thats why I use the celbuds because the wires stay in them very well.

kakeladi Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 5:17pm
post #7 of 8

I don't have access to my pic of the cake I made those roses for but it was a 'trail' of roses from top to bottom and there was no problem w/the petals staying up nor placing them onthe cake. No wires or celbuds were used.

saramachen Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 1:19am
post #8 of 8

Thanks Guys. I watched Tonedna's you tube tutorials on making the roses with individual petals and they were really lovely. I have large circle cutters so i wouldn't need to buy any new cutters.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%