Mold On The Botton Of Cake.....

Decorating By j_black Updated 2 Dec 2008 , 2:03pm by Peet

j_black Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j_black Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 3:32pm
post #1 of 11

Hello everyone,

Well I have been a long time lurker of this site. I have decorated off and on for a few years. Never for a profit though. So all my cakes have just been for family and friends. Well recently I just did a cake for my bosses birthday. It was a lovely two tiered 9X13 on the bottom and a football shaped cake on the top. The first problem I had was that when I was getting ready to place my football cake (peanut butter cake) on the cake board I noticed some greenish blue spots on the bottom of the cake. There were several spots on the botton of this color. Well I had to rebake this cake.
The botton layer (white cake) was just fine. I had baked these cakes friday morning and was getting ready to frost them that evening. This has never happened before. The only thing I had done differently was that I left them on parchment paper that day. Does anyone know what may have caused this. They were covered all day. Please help!!! The second cake was delicious and I would like to continue baking more peanut butter cakes, but not if they are going to get sick and develop green spots.

10 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 8:20pm
post #2 of 11

Welcome to Cake Central. I think it is highly unlikely that mold will develop on cake in one day.

More likely, it was some chemical reaction to the peanut butter, but I couldn't guess what it might be.

Hopefully, you did not cover the cake until it was cool.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 8:23pm
post #3 of 11

Hi and Welcome to CC, j_black. icon_smile.gif

Decoding CC acronyms:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-2926-.html

Did you by chance happen to use inverted flower nails (in place of heating cores) in your sheet cake pans...

If so, a chemical reaction can take place which leaves "dark" spots when the flower nails are removed (but which are harmless).

Here's a thread you might find helpful....

Everything you ever wanted to know about making your 1st tiered/stacked/layer cake:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-605188-.html

HTH

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 10:45pm
post #4 of 11

I have one knife that, when I use it to level a cake, leaves a metallic color on the cake. First time I saw it, I thought it was mold, too. But it's just discoloration from the knife.

dawncr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawncr Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 3:00am
post #5 of 11

Another -duh- moment I had when I thought I saw green mold growing on the bottom edge of one of my cakes. I knew it couldn't have grown mold that quickly.

I put parchment in the bottom of my pans before filling with batter. To get the parchment the correct size, I set the pan on parchment paper and trace around the pan. With. a. pen. Turns out I didn't cut all the ink off of the parchment paper in a few places. I don't remember the color of the ink, but it wasn't green--it was probably black, and the heat and moisture caused a separation of hues.

Voila! "Mold!"

j_black Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j_black Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 8:46pm
post #6 of 11

Thank you all for the replies.

I have made many other cakes before without this "COLOR" happening.
The only thing different this time was that it was a peanut butter cake, and I had loaned out my leveler to the mother in law. So I did level my cakes with a knife this time, which I have never done before.

Hope ya'll have a great day..

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 4:18pm
post #7 of 11

That can also happen from a reaction to the cooling rack too. icon_smile.gif I doubt it's mold.

Momkiksbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momkiksbutt Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 4:33pm
post #8 of 11

Welcome to CC!!!!

I've had this happen with tin foil too! Seems the sugar or something else in the cake just eats little holes in the foil and then I ended up with the dreaded "mold spots"...never use it anymore....VIVA LA PRESS AND SEAL!!!!!

Don't forget to post your pics of your cakes on here for us to admire! LOL

Again...welcome!!!!

Lisa

KatieKake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatieKake Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 4:48pm
post #9 of 11

When I open this thread, an ad from Safecount.net, requesting I take a survey was covering part of the question, and the first reply to the question. Very annoying. Globel Sugar Art's ad was cut in half. Is this happening to any one else?

Katie

Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 8:29pm
post #10 of 11

KatieKake, I am having this same problem also. It has just been happening in the last week or so. Today I am also having a problem with a "talking" ad LOL "You have just been selected to receive a free Wii.... etc.) CC is having hiccups I guess.

Peet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peet Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 2:03pm
post #11 of 11

I have had some issues with freezing carrotcake. There are some green spots in the cake. I figure it has to do with a chemical reaction. Very strange thoug!

Petra

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%