Color Flow With Black Chocolate Fondant & Timing

Decorating By hockeymom5 Updated 15 Nov 2008 , 12:29pm by hockeymom5

hockeymom5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hockeymom5 Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 3:14pm
post #1 of 7

I changed what I plan on doing. I plan to do a sheet cake - single layer in white buttercream and then stack a double layer black chocolate fondant 8" rounds on top with a color flow logo plaque on top of that.

1. I am planning on putting a white color flow plaque on top of black chocolate fondant. I read that I don't have to worry about the color flow immediately breaking down if I put it directly on top but do I need to worry about the black seeping through?

2. Do I need to worry about the black from the fondant seeping into the white buttercream base?

3. I plan on doing the color flow now. How early can I do the fondant and the cakes without them drying out? The whole cake is due next Thursday evening. I am busy on Thursday. Can I finish it and cover it in plastic on Wednesday without it all drying out?

6 replies
hockeymom5 Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 4:46am
post #2 of 7

bump

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 4:59pm
post #3 of 7

There should be no problem w/black since it is fondant.
The possible problem would be if using b'cream not fondant.
Make sure the colorflow piece is perfectly, totally dry before adding.
You can do your cake on Wed w/o problems. Do NOT covere it w/plastic....just put it in a cake box in a cool, dry, dark place and it will not dry out or have any problems.

hockeymom5 Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 5:11pm
post #4 of 7

Thank you!

I won't have a cake box tall enough for the cake but will figure out something.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 5:18pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeymom5

I changed what I plan on doing. I plan to do a sheet cake - single layer in white buttercream and then stack a double layer black chocolate fondant 8" rounds on top with a color flow logo plaque on top of that.

1. I am planning on putting a white color flow plaque on top of black chocolate fondant. I read that I don't have to worry about the color flow immediately breaking down if I put it directly on top but do I need to worry about the black seeping through?

2. Do I need to worry about the black from the fondant seeping into the white buttercream base?

3. I plan on doing the color flow now. How early can I do the fondant and the cakes without them drying out? The whole cake is due next Thursday evening. I am busy on Thursday. Can I finish it and cover it in plastic on Wednesday without it all drying out?

As kakelady said... The colorflow will be ok as long as it is completely dry. I would make it this week. The black color from the fondant wont bleed on the buttercream. You can bake over the weekend and cover your cakes is plastic and refrigerate them. They stay good in the fridge as long as they are well sealed. Then you can decorate easily on wednesday. Dont put the cakes after that on the fridge. After they are sealed with buttercream, they stay moist , unless it was dry to begin with. And that can be solved with some simple syrup.
Hope this helps!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

hockeymom5 Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 1:47pm
post #6 of 7

Thank you! I will try to post a picture when I am done.

hockeymom5 Posted 15 Nov 2008 , 12:29pm
post #7 of 7

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1288162.html Got it done and everyone loved it. Thank you for your help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%