15 Hours Or More To Decorate, How Much????

Business By cathie_shinnick Updated 3 Nov 2008 , 11:06pm by snarkybaker

cathie_shinnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathie_shinnick Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 2:54pm
post #1 of 4

I make a 2 tier bridal shower cake, top layer white with raspberry filling and bottom chocolate with chocolate buttercreme. It was covered in fondant, not too hard. But the decorations I make for the cake ie: shoe, lingere in a box with tissue, a ring box with an engagement ring , presents and leaves all done in fondant, some hand painted and were put together in layers. (I will have to get my daughter to help me download my pictures.) Iy took about 15 hourd to make the decorations. About an hour to apply, then about 30 minutes to finish when I delivered it. I know I undercharged, but dont know how to price these kind of cakes. The bride has contacted me to do a grooms cake. Two layers, the top a football helmet, the second a football, squishing rival team members. Im lost as how to charge. Help

3 replies
ziggytarheel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ziggytarheel Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 4:45pm
post #2 of 4

I think a better question is how much is what you created worth in the current market? For example, if my plumber charges $75 an hour and took 10 hours to do something that most other plumbers would take 6 hours to do, that plumber is not going to be very popular with me! If my house took 8 months to build but a house identical to mine took 6 months to build, the market is going to say they have about the same value. Some decorators are fast, others are slow and still others are average. The amount of time it takes you figures into "is it worth it to me" category more than the actual price.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 10:56pm
post #3 of 4

In addition to the above questions, how "easy" is it for the client to get a cake like that elsewhere? If the local grocery store bakery is their only other option, then the value is "market price" .... remember that economics class you slept thru? This is where the lessons on "supply and demand" come into play! icon_biggrin.gif

At an ICES meeting, one lady brought a dummy cake and asked us to guess the price. It was covered with gumpaste, pastillage (sp?) shoes, purses, etc. 4 tier cake .... served probably 200-250.

Because of the HOURS it took to make all of those decorations, she sold that cake for $2400. And she said the organization that bought it didnt' bat at eye at the price. (And before the comments come forward, no she's NOT from a big city .... nice, rural America!)

Sometimes the price "is what it is". If it takes 8 hours to make something ... something customized and specialized .... then the client is going to pay for 8 hours worth of labor.

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 11:06pm
post #4 of 4

$720. $20 an hour X 30 hours plus cost of ingredients ( assuming $40) X 3.
That's how we price cakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%