"caulk Line" For A Seamless Edge With Buttercream

Decorating By __Jamie__ Updated 4 Nov 2008 , 1:03am by momma28

__Jamie__ Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 2:40pm
post #1 of 12

Since I see (and have posted many myself) questions about getting a seamless edge on my buttercream cakes after they are all stcked up, I tried this method yesterday, and it turned out perfectly. If this is not a new method, my apologies, although I know someone will come along today wondering how to get rid of that crack between their tiers.

1. Stacked my tiers, I had a 6" on top of an 8" on top of a 10", after I had frosted and smoothed and AFTER they chilled until really firm.

2. Chilled them all again.

3. Put buttercream into a piping bag with a number 2 or 3 tip...one of those.

4. Piped a continuous string of icing right along the edge of the tiers where the tier met the next tier.

5. Ran the tip of a tiny spatula along the line as if I was caulking the bathtub or something.

Now the cakes look seamless and there is absolutely no separation of tiers, they all look like one big cake. Pretty nice!

11 replies
nickshalfpint Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 2:52pm
post #2 of 12

Do you chill them, then stack them, then you chill them again, stacked? And how long do you usually chill them for? Soryy, I'm clueless icon_redface.gif Thanks for the info, that always drives me crazy, and I had no idea how to make it smooth thumbs_up.gif

PinkZiab Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 4:09pm
post #3 of 12

Not a new technique, but I'm sure there are many around here who don't know it yet, so it's always good to post it. I also do this with my fondant cakes to get a perfectly seamless look.

okred Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 5:52pm
post #4 of 12

I didn't know this, great idea. Thanks so much, I can't wait to try this!

__Jamie__ Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 6:13pm
post #5 of 12

Well, hmmm. I think I posted wrong. Yes, I did. I chilld all three tiers, then stacked them, then did the little "caulking" bead around them. Sorry about the "chilling" confusion. Gave me shivers...lol.

__Jamie__ Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 6:15pm
post #6 of 12

Oh...and I don't know how long I chill for, just however long it takes for the icing to turn fairly hard. Like if I touched the icing with my (clean) finger, and even applied a bit of pressure, there would be no give, or if I had to pick it up with cupped hands around the side, it would pick up fine without leaving any indentations or smudges. Make sense?

nickshalfpint Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 6:20pm
post #7 of 12

YES....Thank you. I'm doing a stacked cak on the 15th so this will help me sooooooooooo much!

Amia Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 6:45pm
post #8 of 12

I'd never heard of this technique, sounds pretty nifty! TFS! thumbs_up.gif

jlsheik Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 6:47pm
post #9 of 12

I "caulked" the five tiered rough texured cake (in my photos) and it was fabuous. Most of mine have a boring ribbon around them and it does not matter but when there is no way to hide it....caulk it!!!
Laura

__Jamie__ Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 7:20pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsheik

but when there is no way to hide it....caulk it!!!Laura

Lol! icon_biggrin.gif

Wildrose6633 Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 7:34pm
post #11 of 12

Great idea will keep it in mind thanks for sharing

momma28 Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 1:03am
post #12 of 12

cool tip icon_smile.gif now if only someone could tell me how o get a nice sharp edge on my bc cakes. I know sugarshacks videos are wonderful but I have to wait to buy them so for now I am stuck with smooth sides and tops but the edges arent sharp. I am going to do a dance of joy when I get that down icon_smile.gifLOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%