Pour Ganache Before Or After Stacking???????

Decorating By OhioBaker Updated 3 Nov 2008 , 10:23pm by indydebi

OhioBaker Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 1:58pm
post #1 of 13

I need to make a three tier wedding cake for my cousin in a couple weeks. I've never used Ganache before and I wonder if I should pour the ganache on before I stack them or after? If before, will the ganache crack when I stack them?

Any advise will be greatly appreciated.

12 replies
cupcakemkr Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 2:06pm
post #2 of 13

It shouldn't. When you stack your cakes the cake teirs are actually sitting on the supports (dowels/sps) and that holds the weight of the cake.

HTH

tcakes65 Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 2:13pm
post #3 of 13

I did a 4-tier wedding cake two weeks ago with ganache. The ganache was poured over the tiers before stacking. I poured the ganache on the morning of the wedding, probably an hour or so before stacking at the site. Here is a pic.
LL

bcake1960 Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 2:25pm
post #4 of 13

Thanks for asking this question... I have one to do soon and would have had to ask the same thing.. only at the last minute.. haha.. Metro: that cake is beautiful! great job! thumbs_up.gif

alvarezmom Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 2:46pm
post #5 of 13

I second that comment. Your cake looks so good!!!! Is that Chocolate BC?

indydebi Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 2:51pm
post #6 of 13

depends on the style of ganache pouring. In the pic above, yes, I would pour before stacking. In this cake that I did .... http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=987333 ..... I had to pour it over the entire cake after it was stacked, then transport it to the wedding facility.

This is the cake that pretty much forced me to try the dowel-down-the-center thing that I'd read so much about on here .... and was very happy to find it works just like everyone says it does! thumbs_up.gif

tcakes65 Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 2:54pm
post #7 of 13

Thanks so much! icon_biggrin.gif Yes, the cake was iced in chocolate buttercream. It was a chocolate lovers dream. Three tiers were double chocolate cake with two tiers filled with chocolate mousse and one with mocha mousse. By the way, after pouring the ganache and letting it run, I did put the tiers in the fridge to firm it up quicker for stacking.

bcake1960 Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 2:59pm
post #8 of 13

Hi indydebbi, ok I got to ask.. why were you forced to use the dowel down the middle of the cake.? I have never done this. and wonder in what case I should be doing this.. I use foam board cake boards will this method work with foam boards?

acookieobsession Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 3:21pm
post #9 of 13

Debi I have a ques- what's up with the rosesless rose stems? Looks like morticia adaams had her way with them! icon_smile.gif

OhioBaker Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 3:33pm
post #10 of 13

Metro and Indy: those cakes are beautiful! One question...which ganache recipe do either of you use? I've printed 3 or 4 different recipes from this site and they all seem to be different. I'd like to use one that I know will work.

Also, Metro...how many batches of ganache did you have to use for that particular cake?

cylstrial Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 4:48pm
post #11 of 13

Quick question -- How long do you have to smooth the ganache before it starts to dry?

Thanks!!

OhioBaker Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 6:43pm
post #12 of 13

cylstrial...I would like to know that answer too. Hopefully someone will check this post again! icon_biggrin.gif

indydebi Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 10:23pm
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcake1960

Hi indydebbi, ok I got to ask.. why were you forced to use the dowel down the middle of the cake.? I have never done this. and wonder in what case I should be doing this.. I use foam board cake boards will this method work with foam boards?

Because I had to transport a 4-tier cake already assembled. Granted it was a mini-cake .... 9/8/6/4 ..... but it was my first fully-assembled cake. I was really nervous about using the center dowel, but as I like telling everyone, "I kept my eyes open and everything!" icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%