Mixer Madness

Decorating By Kaique Updated 4 Nov 2008 , 3:11pm by Kaique

Kaique Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaique Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 1:29pm
post #1 of 10

I'm brand new to this site. Hi!

I have a question about mixers. Right now I do all my mixing with a hand mixer. I have a KitchenAid stand-up mixer but to tell the truth, I don't like it at all. I find it cumbersome, time-consuming and extremely messy. The spatter guard doesn't work well either, in my opinion. Is there anyone out there who feels the same or am I on my own on this one? icon_smile.gif I have a KitchenAid hand mixer and I love it, it's lasted many months more than any other hand mixer I've ever used. But I want to up my production eventually and I know using a hand mixer isn't the way to go. Does anyone use a stand-up mixer that they feel is better than KitchenAid?

Thanks very much!

9 replies
-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 3:33pm
post #2 of 10

Welcome to CC!

I'm a KA devotee, so all I can suggest is to keep trying with yours. What model is it? I'm sure it does seem a bit cumbersome after working with a hand mixer, but once you really get used to it it will be worth its' (considerable) weight in gold!

Try some larger recipes that you wouldn't be able to do with a hand mixer. If the guard thing doesn't work well for you, just remove it (mine didn't come with one and I don't feel too disadvantaged!). Keep it out on the counter so you don't have to keep lifting it around.

When I got my KA, my husband bought it as a gift, and I was a bit droopy because I'd really wanted a food processor. After a few weeks with the KA I was totally hooked and wouldn't be without it now (although I'd quite like a larger capacity one now!)

MosMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MosMom Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 5:14pm
post #3 of 10

Try buying a few extra bowls & attachments. I find it is much easier when I don't have to clean for every different thing I'm doing.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 8:27pm
post #4 of 10

Get a Viking

Mike

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 8:53pm
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1394

Get a Viking

Mike

or

a Cuisinart 7 qt. I have a KA too, but love my Cuisinart!!

banba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
banba Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 10:05pm
post #6 of 10

I use Kenwood, it's just the most widely available one here but there are others.

My last Kenwood was my grandmothers, she bought it when she got married and it just died on me this year icon_cry.gif Now beat that!

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 10:35pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by banba

I use Kenwood, it's just the most widely available one here but there are others.

I wish I could get a Kenwood here. My MIL has an ancient one (probably as old as your granny's) which still works great.

I love the fact that it was invented by KEN WOOD. Perfect!!

banba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
banba Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 9:56am
post #8 of 10

Yeah I was able to keep the bowl and all the attachments and they all fit right on the new one. I think that's mad because there must be like 50yrs in the difference and they still fit icon_smile.gif

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 2:05pm
post #9 of 10

My 6 qt Kenwood is going strong after 6 years... It's been a great mixer!!...love the 1200 watts! .....of course now I want a 20qt Hobarticon_smile.gif

Kaique Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaique Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 3:11pm
post #10 of 10

Thank you everyone for all your help! I think I'm going to really like being a member here!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%