Make A Standing Sign?

Decorating By kristamr Updated 3 Nov 2008 , 2:18pm by mandifrye

kristamr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristamr Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 6:21am
post #1 of 4

I am making a car cake and road. I want to have a billboard. What is the best to use for the sign?

3 replies
aztomcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aztomcat Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 6:30am
post #2 of 4

I would suggest MMF (marshmallow fondant). The recipe is here in the recipes section. Make your signs 3-4 days out so it can dry and become sturdy. (you can also buy premade fondant to use)

If it needs to have specific logo on the sign I will apply an edible image to the fondant. Otherwise you can write on it with edible ink or icing.

Good luck

EnjoyTheCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EnjoyTheCake Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 6:31am
post #3 of 4

How tall do you want the billboard to stand? I made a 4x4 cake not too long ago and used gumpaste and a candy stick for the creek sign.

My sign was about 3 inches tall over all. I stuck the brown gumpaste around the candy stick then shaped into a board sort of look. I made the actual sign separate. When both parts were dry I glued them together with gumpaste/water mixture. I can give more information or a closer picture of the sign if it's helpful to you.

mandifrye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandifrye Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 2:18pm
post #4 of 4

I like the sturdiness of candy clay over fondant or gumpaste. I find that it takes less time to dry, and is easier to mold (it holds its shape while working). I use it for trees, signs or what have you to make them stand with little support!

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%