Pushy Co-Worker...insisted On Taking My Shift! Ugh!

Lounge By cupcakeco Updated 10 Nov 2008 , 1:10am by indydebi

cupcakeco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakeco Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 5:38am
post #1 of 15

I am kind of peeved and need to vent. A girl I work with called me late last night and asked if I could cover her shift this morning because she didn't want to go in due to her major "girl" problems (I got way too much "TMI" from her, not passing it on to all of you icon_eek.gif). So one would think that she would be grateful that I took it on such short notice, but instead she immediately started rattling off the days I was working and asking which one she should take icon_confused.gif . I tried to protest, saying, "I can make all of them, so I don't really need to trade" but she insisted to the point where I felt pressured to choose one, so I did. I am pissed. I feel cheated out of one of MY scheduled days. She (the co-worker) asked that I fill out my portion of the shift swap paperwork so that she could sign it, but I didn't because I was pissed. I want to talk to my boss first.

I am just annoyed, I don't know. I feel like she was way out of line. Since when is it okay to ask someone to cover because you're sick--super short notice!-- and then INSIST on making it up with one of the other person's shifts??! As far as I'm concerned, calling in sick is forfeiting your shift. Insisting that you make it up with the one of the fill-in-ee's (i.e., MINE) is downright obnoxious. GRR! I really am angry and I don't know why so much. I really want to talk to my boss about this but I am afraid that she will blame me for breaking down and "choosing" a day to "trade". Even though I really didn't want to and I only did it because this girl was basically badgering me. Someone HELP! Who else here works retail? Need advice icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif Thanks

14 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 5:51am
post #2 of 15

Think you answered your own question/s.

You're pissed because she's trying to manipulate you....

If she wants the day off, work for her, but DON'T sign the paperwork to switch.

Switching should be mutually advantageous, and this isn't the case. Tell her you won't switch and she can come in on all her regularly scheduled days to work or call off sick.

Remember, she can't MAKE you switch, she can only try to guilt you into it. Don't let her!!!!

HTH

cupcakeco Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 5:59am
post #3 of 15

I'm afraid it may be too late--she's already got it in her head that shes working tuesday night (originally my shift). She made sure that she reminded me this morning at 9:00 AM when she called icon_eek.gif

I feel like the only one who can fix this is my boss. Unfortunately her managing tendencies are somewhat erratic (er, COMPLETELY erratic) so I'm afraid because I don't know whether she'll be sympathetic and "correct" the situation or side with the other girl and say that I should've been more stern.

The whole situation is just GROSS ..I wonder if I should just let it go and NOT let it happen again icon_redface.gif

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 2:48pm
post #4 of 15

Could you try calling the girl and telling her that while you would rather save the "favor" of her covering for you until sometime when you NEED it?

mixinvixen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mixinvixen Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 2:57pm
post #5 of 15

i understand you're upset, and i don't intend to hurt your feelings, but you put yourself in this bed, now you're gonna have to rest. thumbs_up.gif

you are an adult. no one MAKES you do anything...ok, maybe the government, but that's it! you could have found your voice, and firmly told her "NO, THANK YOU...i need the hours...you can just owe me a favor for when i need it"

go to the mirror and practice your "godfather' face! people owing you a favor can be a good thing! icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 3:14pm
post #6 of 15

Bottom line you will have to take this chick's anger if you decide to stand up to her now or later. So get that straight. Pushy people don't make for warm & fuzzy friends especially when you push back.

My recommendation is don't rely on your boss. Just don't sign the swap. Be more firm about your changing your mind than she's gonna be about you saying you would. It's either screw her or she's gonna screw you.

When/if it does come up to your boss' attention--say that you felt pressured and that she badgered you and that you do not want to swap shifts. You don't mind covering for her--maybe going forward she can cover for you but you want your shift.

I mean the only thing I can think is if it puts you into overtime and the company is not into paying any ot. I mean unless there's some other policy I don't know of--Girlfriend, she can not make you!

Auryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auryn Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 6:42pm
post #7 of 15

You need to call her and tell her you need the hours and you will be working your shift as originally scheduled.
And then you show up for work 5 minutes early and if she is there, well sucks to be her, shes not scheduled.

You need to stand up to her and tell her to back off.

ckkerber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckkerber Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 11:19pm
post #8 of 15

I think that if you told her you would switch (even if you felt pressured into it) you have to switch. Let her know that in the future, if she needs you to cover a sick day for her that you won't be swapping a day to do it but in this case, you already agreed to a deal and even if she forced you into it, you gave your word. It sucks but just don't let it happen again!

cupcakeco Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 1:53am
post #9 of 15

Thanks everyone for the replies, weigh-ins, and reasurrance, etc.
UPDATE: I did feel pressured into it, but I decided to just let it slide this one time and make d*mn sure that it doesn't EVER happen again. As far as the girl is concerned, she got hers: because she's so hour-hungry, she was doing a double today (10a-10p) and had already volunteered to take someone's shift tomorrow morning as well. Because I "offered" (not!) her my tuesday, that would make TWO doubles in a row for her. WELL, today she called to ask if I wouldn't rather work tuesday and let her take thursday-- IE, OOPS, she thought about it and realized how much two doubles in a row would stink (to put it lightly, he he). Esentially she was asking me to reconsider for her benefit! NO WAY! I decided that if she wanted it, she could have it. She inconvenienced me, so I'm not making EXTRA accomodations for her! With a chuckle I told her that no, she could definitely do tuesday no problem because I want to work my thursday. Ha ha.

Moral of the story: have fun pulling TWO doubles in a row, b*tch, you asked for it!

JanH Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 7:34am
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakeco

Moral of the story: have fun pulling TWO doubles in a row, b*tch, you asked for it!

Seems she was SO busy being slick and trying to get over on you that she didn't realize she was shooting herself in the foot. icon_rolleyes.gif

(Perfect example of, "What goes around comes around".) judge.gifthumbs_up.gif

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 1:41pm
post #11 of 15

and I'd bet anything she'll blame it on everyone else - how tired she is, how nobody would switch with her, yadda, yadda, yadda. God forbid she should admit it's her own stupid fault!

kimmypooh79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmypooh79 Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 6:36am
post #12 of 15

I must be missing something.....I don't see what the big deal is if it was an even trade. Was it an even trade? I have only worked in retail myself but I don't recall switching with anybody unless my manager was doing the asking. I wasn't going to take the chance that the other person didn't show up.

JanH Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 7:44am
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmypooh79

I must be missing something.....I don't see what the big deal is if it was an even trade. Was it an even trade?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakeco

Since when is it okay to ask someone to cover because you're sick--super short notice!-- and then INSIST on making it up with one of the other person's shifts??!

Mutual agreement and not coercion make an even trade. judge.gif

cakelover25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelover25 Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 12:57am
post #14 of 15

I worked retail for 9 years so understand where you are coming from with not wanting to switch. From past experience I learned to make it clear up front that I would take a shift, not switch. Unless of course the switch helped me or was with someone I wanted to help out. icon_wink.gif

Sounds like this worked in the end as she'll hopefully learn her lesson after 2 double shifts in a row!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 1:10am
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanH

(Perfect example of, "What goes around comes around".) judge.gifthumbs_up.gif

karma, baby, karma!! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%