$500 Walmart Cake

Decorating By Rocketgirl899 Updated 19 Nov 2008 , 2:33pm by Lynnzee

dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 2:33am
post #31 of 150

. . . maybe we should thank her for "educating" the public . . . if this is a $500 cake then imagine what our creations are worth . . . and the public shouldn't have any problem paying $1000's of dollars for something that doesn't look like that . . . icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Rocketgirl899 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 2:41am
post #32 of 150

good point Dragonfly!!

I saw a video montage of her saying "it's cocktail time" about 100 times... lol.

I know they don't expect us to change our kitchen, they have network budgets.

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 2:53am
post #33 of 150

I just don't think she's talented as a chef, she's just pretty so they put her on tv.

I don't sell cakes (I'm not much of a decorator) but I would have no problem paying more for a cake that DOESN'T look like that - so maybe ya'll should start showing that video to customers, lol! Its job security

baycheeks1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baycheeks1 Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 3:04am
post #34 of 150

Now I know I'm not Sylvia Winestock or Collete Peters, but seriously Sandra Lee! I would in no way pay $50 let alone $500! Thats a cake that the kids at childrens church would when we do baked stuff...not to sale to someone!

liapsim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liapsim Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 3:06am
post #35 of 150

That was just ridiculous! I can't believe that anyone in their right mind would even buy that cake in the first place...no matter the expense!

mkcraig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkcraig Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 3:06am
post #36 of 150

Oh my, that was the funniest thing I've seen in a long time! Thanks for sharing!

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 3:23am
post #37 of 150

OK.. so my 5 year old could throw this one together too! Probably would look better than her version too! haha

shadowgypsie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shadowgypsie Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 5:19am
post #38 of 150

That woman is really crazy!! $500 for frozen, 6 month old cake stacked to look like "I'm not sure what to call it " something a child would build with a heap of blocks.

meegz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meegz Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 5:33am
post #39 of 150

I think it's a cute idea to let the kids do.... icon_smile.gif

tonia3604 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonia3604 Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 5:57am
post #40 of 150

I'm still in shock....

EnjoyTheCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EnjoyTheCake Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 6:18am
post #41 of 150

In fairness, when you are doing a show blurb like that, it's got to be quick, entertaining and finished in less than a minute. And she had Mario trying to put a smiley face on it.

I think she's got an interesting concept, albeit exaggerated at a $500 cake. But I'll giver her credit for thinking outside the party box and trying to make a memorable cake for a party.

poconogrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poconogrl Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 6:36am
post #42 of 150

quick or not 500 dollars???? she is paid to be a pro.

poconogrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poconogrl Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 6:47am
post #43 of 150

and Im sorry as a chef for 12 years I know a itsy bitsy bit about recipes and her recipes are ok but not at all quality

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 10:07am
post #44 of 150

Another Food Network disaster personality. S Lee is a joke LOLOL. Oh I have so many issues with Food Network LOLOLOL

Mike

Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 10:32am
post #45 of 150

icon_confused.gif Oh, I get it now, of course, a $500 cake! $20.00 for the cake, $5.00 for the cookies, and $475 is under that top layer that "you just flop right on there!" icon_rolleyes.gif

Thanks for my first hearty laugh of the day! That video is a riot! HAHAHA!

Enjoy the day!
Karen

hellie0h Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hellie0h Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 12:20pm
post #46 of 150

I'm piping in with a different point of view, her target is not cake decorators...it's the moms and dads who want to put together something a little fun and colorful at home.
You have got to admit, that this cake is much more fun than a 9x13 cake frosted in a cake pan....the way I use to do my kids cakes a century ago. I also did the bunny cake, I thought they were and are cute!
I'm not a fan of Sandra Lee, but her life story is to be admired.

disneynutbsv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
disneynutbsv Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 12:34pm
post #47 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketgirl899

good point Dragonfly!!

I saw a video montage of her saying "it's cocktail time" about 100 times... lol.

I know they don't expect us to change our kitchen, they have network budgets.

lol, I remember watching all the christmas specials on food network last year and she had to make cocktails for every show....she likes her cocktails! (so do I, but, not as much as she does icon_biggrin.gif )

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 12:37pm
post #48 of 150

I agree her story is to be admired. I have never liked her show because she says/does things just like she did on the clip.

"Plop" a little of this and just like that you have a "designer" cake.

IMO it undermines the hard work of those of us who put a lot of care into our cakes. And we wonder why the average person doesn't think our product is worth the money or they can just "do that themselves".

That is the part that gets me. Say it's a way to make something fun and unique for a party but don't tell the public that it is just the same because it's not. It is a dis- service to all!

thumbsdown.gif

luelue1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luelue1971 Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 12:43pm
post #49 of 150

That's not even semi homeade. That's just throwing stuff together and forget about the taste.

Mike1394 Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 12:50pm
post #50 of 150

OK what's her story. Some bimbo grabs stuff out of a can gets lucky, and gets a TV show making a million a yr? She's worse than RR

Mike

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 12:51pm
post #51 of 150

What does it say about me that I kept thinking that Mario Lopez should have been doing that segment with his shirt off? icon_twisted.gif It would have made it worth watching for the scenery, anyway. Other than that, it was typical "semi-homemade" stupidity, but I'm with the people who said that if there's a sucker who thinks that's a $500 cake, send them my way!

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 1:07pm
post #52 of 150

In my professional, and personal opinion.... I still wouldn't pay her $40.00 for that mess.

Kinda disappointing to think that is what she considers a $500 cake. My granddaughter can "throw" one together like that (probably better) and she is only 2. tapedshut.gif

What was she thinking???????

luelue1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luelue1971 Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 1:14pm
post #53 of 150

Sandra Lee grew up very, very poor. She has a very touching story. She started making things semihomeade for her family while she was very young.

You should all read about her if you can but that cake still...

Postal_Cakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Postal_Cakemaker Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 1:27pm
post #54 of 150

icon_redface.gif I shouldn't have paid $500.00 for it? icon_mad.gif

Mike1394 Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 1:31pm
post #55 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocolate_Bunnies_Cakes

icon_redface.gif I shouldn't have paid $500.00 for it? icon_mad.gif

It is a very lovely cake. I bet it tastes great too icon_biggrin.gif

Mike

mixinvixen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mixinvixen Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 1:42pm
post #56 of 150

for whomever said she probably couldn't cook, she actually attended Le Cordon Bleu School in Ottawa...apparently that holds weight on this forum.

i've only watched one of her shows, and wasn't really overly impressed, but i actually liked the fact that she decorated differently to go with the theme of the food...it's not meant to tell everyone to do that...it's only showing decorating ideas. i liked her style on the show i watched, and got a couple of good decorating ideas.

as for this video...hmmmm. crap!

Cakeasyoulikeit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeasyoulikeit Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 1:49pm
post #57 of 150

Well, my three year old son's reaction was "oh, that's pretty!" Guess I should work on discriminating his taste! LOL. Oh course, my five year old told me the other day the chocolate icing on a store bought cupcake that we brought home from a meeting "tasted just like" the rich chocolate truffle mini tarts I made recently. Um...no. The cupcake as so bad I took bite and was like "spit, blech, yuck!" The truffle pie....heaven.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 1:50pm
post #58 of 150
Quote:
Quote:

OK what's her story. Some bimbo grabs stuff out of a can gets lucky, and gets a TV show making a million a yr? She's worse than RR

Sandra has her creds... and started from humble beginnings and a tumultuous life just like Martha and Duff. You can google her bio, but she basically raised her four younger siblings after her mother succumbed to depression relying on the wisdom of her beloved grandmother. She fought her way in the world to pay for college on her own and has attended Le Cordon Bleu where she further developed her Semi Homemade philosophy. That was after she had become a millionaire developing the curtain ring holders so popular in the 90's that allowed you to "poof" fabric through them and develop any style you desired. http://www.semihomemade.com/sandra-lee/biography.htm Hers is one of the more interesting bios on Chefography. JMHO

Was this cake even close to Semi Homemade? No. There was really nothing outstanding about it and there was probably a lot of ways she could have taken that same concept and made her her true trademark (70/30 store bought/your own homemade touches), but as someone else mentioned - what can you do in 4 minutes? Was it a basis for inspiration for countless women who have not got a clue or the income to afford even one of the incredible cakes that go into our galleries everyday here on CC? I'm betting it was...
edited for spelling error

travelingcakeplate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
travelingcakeplate Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 2:03pm
post #59 of 150

Can I ask a question?.....

Why do so many people not like Sandra Lee? I always hear people trashing her. icon_mad.gif

Her recipes save me lots of time and her tablescapes give me lots of ideas for parties.

Although I'm not a fan of the cake in this video, I still don't loathe her the way so many other people do. I just don't get. What am I missing?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 2:06pm
post #60 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingcakeplate

Can I ask a question?.....

Why do so many people not like Sandra Lee? I always hear people trashing her. icon_mad.gif

well, trying to convince people that a child's level decorating job is worth $500 kinda turns me off.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%