Red Velvet Question??

Decorating By Cyndi1207 Updated 4 Nov 2008 , 3:52am by Cyndi1207

Cyndi1207 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cyndi1207 Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 9:29pm
post #1 of 8

Would I be able to use my red americolor gel to color the batter or do I need to use the red food dye that you buy in the store? I don't mean for this to sound like a dumb question-I just would like to save a trip to the store......Lol. The gels just seem more condensed so maybe I would use less? Any help would be appreciated----thanks in advance thumbs_up.gif

7 replies
erikamj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erikamj Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 11:09pm
post #2 of 8

You can use the gels for coloring. I would assume you can use less since they are more concentrated but I am not sure.

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 2:49pm
post #3 of 8

I don't know if that would work, My question is, if you use the gels, where are you replacing the liquid. You are adding liquid to recipe when you use the food coloring. JMO

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 2:58pm
post #4 of 8

I use americolor gels exclusively and always use their super red for my red velvet cake. I don't measure it, so I can't tell you how much to add... I just know when the color is right lol.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 3:21pm
post #5 of 8

You can use Americolors, Wilton colors or the red food coloring from the grocery store. They all work...I've tried them all and don't find a whole lot of difference.

jonahsmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jonahsmommy Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 3:27pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissRobin

I don't know if that would work, My question is, if you use the gels, where are you replacing the liquid. You are adding liquid to recipe when you use the food coloring. JMO

In my red velvet recipe the liquid amount really doesn't matter and it's probably like that with the others too...I know this because onetime I made red velvet cake for a get together and when I made it I realized I forgot the food color and eveywhere was closed so I still made it and called it "Dirty Velvet cake" lol but it tasted exactly the same and the texture was the same too. So I don't see why you couldn't use gel colors either I wish I would've thought of that then icon_lol.gif

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 3:59pm
post #7 of 8

I made one last week (my first Red Velvet cake) and I used Americolor with great success. I was making a bleeding heart cake and wanted it really red and the Americolor worked great! I just added and mixed until I got the nice bloody color that I wanted.

Cyndi1207 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cyndi1207 Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 3:52am
post #8 of 8

Thanks everyone!!! I did use Americolor and it worked beautifully.........a stunning red. Thanks again!!! I used this recipe and they were sooooooooo good http://www.elise.com/recipes/archives/007128red_velvet_cupcakes_with_cream_cheese_frosting.php

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%